P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I have been following this build with interest and I must admit it is certainly starting to take shape now and looking very nice indeed. I love the work you have done on it so far. I can see this one being a really nice plane once she is finished.

I only have to look at photo's like this just to get me in a building mood and that is a good thing !!.

Keep us posted with pics.

Regards......Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your valuable comments... most appreciated. I must say that i have impressed myself with this one. i only took up this hobby of building in October and this is my first ever. It has not been easy as it is a hard project for a beiggner to start with. Most of the big kits today come preformed in fibre glass and all you have to do is add the retracts, servos, etc and then paint it. Not very challanging. This is an old kit that was left behind by an old chap rest his sole. I guess he never got round to building it. There is a type face letter in the box that someone sent him giving a bit of history about a certain Thunderbolt. Not sure of the date of it, i cant remember but it is very old. Once i have finnished the kit i will scan the letter and put it on the site. I will try to see if his relatives/widow are still at the address and drop them a line along with some pics and would dedicate this build to him. I know it was around August time his widow took all of his things into my local model shop inc a couple of planes that he had finnished but never flew. He used to hang them up for display. The engine i have for this model is from a plane that he displayed, it is a couple of years old but has never been run, still as good as new. May he rest in peice.

Andy

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

That would certainly be a nice gesture to send the pics to the relatives as I am sure they will be thrilled to know the plane has lived on and done out in the scheme he was looking at.

I am certainly looking forwards to seeing the finished plane, You have done this one proud so far considering this is your first kit. I can only imagine we are going to see even better things in the future judging by the work so far. Keep it up !!

Regards........Mark

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,That would certainly be a nice gesture to send the pics to the relatives as I am sure they will be thrilled to know the plane has lived on and done out in the scheme he was looking at.

I am certainly looking forwards to seeing the finished plane, You have done this one proud so far considering this is your first kit. I can only imagine we are going to see even better things in the future judging by the work so far. Keep it up !!

Regards........Mark
Thanks Mark,

I have uploaded thew docs i spoke about. As you can see this goes back to 1977, quite a time ago eh!. All i need to do is find out the color scheme from the information in the letter. The Freeveiw is exactly as the plane will be finnished so that if i compete it will have a nice peice of history for the docs book.

If you think that you can assist in pointing me in the right direction or if any mambers can help i would be grateful. I dont think for one minute that i'm going to find the chap who sent this original letter.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. You are too kind, but thanks for the comments.

View attachment 17820

View attachment 17821

P47 Free veiw.jpg

P47 letter.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I just did a quick Google Image search on "Penrod & Sam" and it does throw up a few results. So worth a try.

One result can be found on the link below:

Google Image Result for http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/p-47/images/P-47D21_Robert_Johnson.jpg

And another pic of the same plane below - this should be a nice easy colour scheme to do.

Regards..........Mark

View attachment 17822

p47-penrod-2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I just did a quick Google Image search on "Penrod & Sam" and it does throw up a few results. So worth a try.

Google Image Result for http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/p-47/images/P-47D21_Robert_Johnson.jpg

And another pic of the same plane below - this should be a nice easy colour scheme to do.

Regards..........Mark
Thanks for your help with this Mark. It is a shame really as i did want to try to avoid Silver. There are a lot of variation for the P47 and i did fancy one or two of the camo schemes. Now i am torn.

Thanks

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I just did a quick Google Image search on "Penrod & Sam" and it does throw up a few results. So worth a try.

Regards..........Mark
Looking closer at the image, i would say that this is not silver but grey. I'm happy again. This scheme would be easier to spray and would be the exact patern of the original. This will help loads as you know i am a beginer and that also relates to spray painting.

Cheers again

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi Gang,

Time again for an update. The wings are on the fuse again. The wing fillets have been filled, sanded, filled and sanded again. Now this is done and the wings are fitted its time to complete the lower part of the fuse as this is a semi mid wing plane so to say. The formers are set in place and the stringers are fitted. Additional stringers are required for the support of the drop tank mechanism. To accomdate this i have fixed an extra stringer either side of the centre stringer at the location of the the drop tank fitting. We now have only one skin left to fit to this Jug and that will be tomorrow, i'm looking forward to it as from here on in the real fun starts... A little more filling once the skin is complete and we are off to the good times, out will come the resin and the glass.

Like the cockpit i have dumped topflites moulded Turbo Cooler flaps and constructed my own from G10.

Andy:peace:

View attachment 17835

View attachment 17836

View attachment 17837

View attachment 17838

View attachment 17839

View attachment 17840

View attachment 17841

View attachment 17842

View attachment 17843

View attachment 17844

Fillet1.jpg

Fillet 2.jpg

Fillet3.jpg

Fillet4.jpg

Belly1.jpg

Belly2.jpg

Beely skin1.jpg

Belly skin2.jpg

Belly skin3.jpg

Turbo Coolers.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Well gang,

Here we go. I am now at about half way stage on this project and we have the last peice of the skin fitted. What a struggle to part the wings from the fuse, even though i put grease proof paper between the joints, the Zap got everywhere and i was fighting for half an hour to seperate the buggers. Anyway i manged in the end and as you can see she looks the biz. Moving on to the engine cowl you will see Topflite moulded effort. It comes in three parts and has to be cut and dremeled to perfection. I wasn't happy with the soild moulding of the flaps, wouldnt look scale at all. So i got to cutting and fileing and then added some lytho plate ( great stuff if you can find it and its free) added some cut peices of evergreen rod to provide an hinge effect. When painted and weathered it should look the biz. I still have to add some more detail to it yet, there are some brass release catches that have to be installed so i will get some brass shim stock tomorrow. Also we have to create the exhaust pipes that stick out of the bottom. Looking forward to the weekend, the fibre glassing begins. I will be happy then because the plane will have a good solid hard covering, at the moment it is very soft and i have to handle it very carefully.

Andy:plane:

View attachment 17851

View attachment 17852

View attachment 17853

View attachment 17854

View attachment 17855

View attachment 17856

View attachment 17857

View attachment 17858

Belly1.jpg

Belly2.jpg

Belly3.jpg

Belly4.jpg

Cowl 0.jpg

cowl1.jpg

Cowl3.jpg

Cowl4.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

I'll give this another go... this is my third attempt to upload this installment. The cowl detail looks good now that i have got rid of the mould look. I have checked the free veiw that i have got of Penrod & Sam and it appears that the cowl is in 4 sections and is retained by no less than 8 brass catches. I have cut out the recesses for these and will make them from Brass shim stock. The next part of the project was to cut out and shape the cowl ring from a staright peice of stock. You will also see that i have now started to fibre glass the model. Wont be long now gang, we will soon have the spary guns out.

Andy

View attachment 17888

View attachment 17889

View attachment 17890

View attachment 17891

View attachment 17892

View attachment 17893

View attachment 17894

View attachment 17895

View attachment 17896

View attachment 17897

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Well Gang, its been a sticky week!. The fibre glassing is now complete and its time for sanding the whole model before applying the flow coat. 60 grit first and then 220 grit. Days of this ahead of me. Its best to do a good job here or it will look like paint runs after i have applied a couple or so coats of primer. Now i am at this stage i think i can take a little rest and may go Clayshooting on Sunday. I havent been since i started the Jug and you need a break now and then. Soon be spraying guys.

Andy

View attachment 17913

View attachment 17914

View attachment 17915

View attachment 17916

View attachment 17917

View attachment 17918

View attachment 17919

View attachment 17920

View attachment 17921

View attachment 17922

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

P

peterjc2441

P47 Under Construction

\ said:
Its time again to let you see a little more of the old Jug. Here are the next stages of the build process. Hopefully it will be more interesting when we get to the scale detail stage. As you can see folks the upper canopy is complete and its now time to progress onto the lower section. All of the ribs sit nicely into place and form the base for the connection of the lower ribs, The fuel tank roof sits directly behind the .90 Four stroke engine. The wing support crutched are next to go in along with the fire wall and fuel tank floor. This is a tricky build section as you have to dry fit several parts and try to align them and make sure they fit before glueing them together. A shot through the fire wall shows how pefect this model is manufactured and the quality of the parts are second to none, exactly what you would expect from a TopFlite Gold Edition Build Kit. The final stage here is to fit all of the stringers rear of the wing bay before applying the lower skins. The front area is left until the mid wing section is constructed along with the section of fuse below the wings, This is to enable a better contour by applying the skins in one and then using the razor saw to cut out the removable wing section. Stay tuned folks.Andy
Hi Andy,

I didn't appreciate this was your first model. Can't help but to be impressed. It looks great.

One quaestion - I notice you are using a green filler to cover those slight imperfections. Can you tell me what compound you are using.

Thanks

Peter

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I didn't appreciate this was your first model. Can't help but to be impressed. It looks great.

One quaestion - I notice you are using a green filler to cover those slight imperfections. Can you tell me what compound you are using.

Thanks

Peter
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the compliments. The Green filler is Squadren Green Putty, it also come in white and is made by Squadren. Most model shops sell it, it is fantastic... one swipe across the area, leave a couple of hours and it sands great. Comes in Oil paint like tubes. Hope you find some. Well worth having in your work shop. You can get it mail order if you cant find any from Models2U - Bringing Models To You

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

Hi gang,

Well this is where it starts to get interesting. The fibre glassing has been completed and now she is passed the delicate stage and can withstand any impeact that would have caused serious damage in the balsa stage. Sanding firstly with 60 grit and then 240 grit we remove all of the bits and scabs. Following this, what seemed to be endless procedure we applied the flow coat. This has left the plane as smooth as a babys... it is now that we can attach the rudder, flaps and ailerons. To make sure the hinges stay in place and to avoid glueing them up a hole is drilled and cocktail sticks are inserted through the structure, a quick wick with thin Zap and they are stuck in place. They are then trimmed with the Razor saw and sanded level. At this stage some would say that she is ready for painting and soon to be airborn... well, thats ok if you just want a plane to fly, in this case it is not so. There is about as much to do now as i have already done. The plane will now require all of its scale detail and many parts and peices have to be made and fitted before the first coat of primer is applied. And before that we have the dreaded job of moulding and cutting the landing gear doors. The major task ahead it to see if the plan worked regarding the landing gear and will they retract fully, you will remember i was a little concerned about the space in the wing for the struts and wheels. Stay tuned for some great scale detailing.

Andy

View attachment 17932

View attachment 17933

View attachment 17934

View attachment 17935

View attachment 17936

View attachment 17937

View attachment 17938

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi gang,

A bonus upload today. After much pondering i have decided to get the landing gear dilemma out of the way. Firstly you can see the ailerons are attached now and trimmed with the razors saw.

To enable the landing gear doors to be exact i have traced the drawing and located it exactly ( i hope ) on the wing. This drawing doesnt allow for doors to be fitted to this model so this is another scale detail that i am adding. The copy is then transfered to the wing by running over the trace with a pencil, as this is traced on both sides it allows you to work a little like carbon paper. Before we can cut these out i have to lay up around 4 layers of fibre glass mat over the top of some momo cote. I will go throught this when i have the pics.

Andy

View attachment 17939

View attachment 17940

View attachment 17941

View attachment 17942

View attachment 17943

View attachment 17944

View attachment 17945

View attachment 17946

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Here we go again. This is the continuation of the under carriage doors that i promised to show you. Firstly having marked out the location on the wing i lay down some iron on monocote to use as a parting agent, this is good because nothing sticks to monocote. Having done this and covered the work are, three layers of fibreglass are applied to obtain the required thickness of the doors. Doing it this way we will end up with doors that fit the profile of the wing exactly. At this point the doors that will eventally be three parts remain as one. Once dried a flow coat of finnishing resin is added and then sanded out.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

A quick tip. When you are looking for a perfect finish to areas that require a decent sure. A good grade of traceing paper is a usefull peice of kit. Once satisfied just glue into place and paint. Here you will see that i have usesd it to finnish of the curves to the flap section on the wing.

Andy

View attachment 17961

View attachment 17962

Flap Cove 1.jpg

Flap Cove 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Having applied the fibre glass its time to start building the scale detailed interior of this section. Struts are fitted internally to provide a solid structure to fix the evergreen to. Once lined out the rivets are added to the detail before painting. When doing scale detail it is best to get it as imperfect as possible to obtain a true reality veiw.

View attachment 17966

View attachment 17967

View attachment 17968

View attachment 17969

View attachment 17970

View attachment 17971

View attachment 17972

View attachment 17973

View attachment 17974

View attachment 17975

Bay details 1.jpg

Bay Details 2.jpg

Bay Details 3.jpg

Bay Details 4.jpg

Bay Details 5.jpg

Bay details 7.jpg

Bay details 6.jpg

Bay details 7a.jpg

Bay details 8.jpg

Bay details 9.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

This is a land mark in this construction. The first coat of paint to go anywhere on the model. Though we are on the home straight we still have far to go. Apart from addition pipes and tubes to be added here the wheel bay interior is finished. Once the additional bits are added a coat of fuel proffing mat will be applied and then we fit the doors and retract mechanisms.

Andy

View attachment 17976

View attachment 17977

View attachment 17978

View attachment 17979

View attachment 17980

View attachment 17981

View attachment 17982

Bay details 10.jpg

Bay paint 1.jpg

Bay paint 2.jpg

Bay paint 3.jpg