It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like this, nice job.

Si:smiling3:

D

Doug Hughes

Looks good, Colin - that's a really interesting colour scheme. Looking forward to seeing the B-29. I've made one Academy kit before (the 1-72 P-47), and found it went together well with nice fine surface detail. I found the transfers a nightmare, though - thick and brittle, and prone to silvering. It turned out OK in the end, but with a lot of persuading, and touching up afterwards. It would be a good idea to take the usual transfer precautions - give the kit a really good gloss coat first, lay in large quantities of Microsol or similar, and try some of them out before hand if there are spares. Should be a great plane to make though. I've never made a B-29 - the Airfix was out of my price range when I was a kid (12s 6d if I remember correctly), and I've never got around to making one since.

C

colin 2611

\ said:
Looks good, Colin - that's a really interesting colour scheme. Looking forward to seeing the B-29. I've made one Academy kit before (the 1-72 P-47), and found it went together well with nice fine surface detail. I found the transfers a nightmare, though - thick and brittle, and prone to silvering. It turned out OK in the end, but with a lot of persuading, and touching up afterwards. It would be a good idea to take the usual transfer precautions - give the kit a really good gloss coat first, lay in large quantities of Microsol or similar, and try some of them out before hand if there are spares. Should be a great plane to make though. I've never made a B-29 - the Airfix was out of my price range when I was a kid (12s 6d if I remember correctly), and I've never got around to making one since.
Thanks Doug, its the colour scheme as per the painting instructions, its a yank plain what would you expect, just look at A Bit `O`Lace I built a little while ago, ill be sure to watch out for the decals on the B-29 when I get to that stage. 12s 6d cant remember that far back, well maybe a little. I was really looking for the Enola Gay but cant seem to find a new kit only second hand ones online, any thoughts ?

D

Doug Hughes

I was really looking for the Enola Gay but cant seem to find a new kit only second hand ones online, any thoughts ?
Well, I wouldn't bother looking for the Airfix one any more - it seemed out of this world in the 70s but must be pretty dated by now. The Academy will be loads better. You may be able to get the Enola Gay transfers as an aftermarket (if they're right for a B-29A).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking Mustang Colin. Good job on the invasion stripes, they turned out well.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice Colin. I've built a couple of academy kits and found them to be really good, although nothing as big as the B29.