Paint advice needed

B

Brian Illsley

Hello to all you members,my name is Brian, i am a new comer to this site,i joined today and in need of some advice about paint. I have in my collection of models a ARC Ready 2 ,this model is around 3 years old and made out of ABS(plastic) On a previous ready i had i painted it with Halfords paint,let it dry and fuel profed it, but this just wiped off after a few weeks. can anyone tell me the best paint to use on this model,i don't want the same to happen. Thanks.:regards: Brian

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Hello and welcome Brian,Halfords spray should be fine for the initial coat,however which fuel proofer did you use ? some are far from proof against highly nitrated fuel which acts like a paint stripper on paint,the only one worth its salt is something like 'Tufcote' this is a two part resin finish which sets very hard and locks the paint underneath,in general one part proofers are useless,do you remember which one that it was ?

It also pays to lightly sand ABS plastic to give the paint a further key,just make sure that you seal the edges as well with the proofer.

Hello to all you members' date='my name is Brian, i am a new comer to this site,i joined today and in need of some advice about paint. I have in my collection of models a ARC Ready 2 ,this model is around 3 years old and made out of ABS(plastic) On a previous ready i had i painted it with Halfords paint,let it dry and fuel profed it, but this just wiped off after a few weeks. can anyone tell me the best paint to use on this model,i don't want the same to happen. Thanks.:regards: Brian[/quote']

A

Aquarama

Hello Brian, onewinglow is right, the preperation of ABS is critical, bost ABS items have a mould release agent still on the surface, this not take paints or adhesives easily, if the suface area is big enough I use 1000 grit wet or dry witha weak solultion of washing up liquid, rinse and let it air dry.

Tough coat is very good but it stinks, use in a realy well ventilated area, hope this meandering helps.

A

Aquarama

:goodluck:

Hello Brian, onewinglow is right, the preperation of ABS is critical, most ABS items have a mould release agent still on the surface, this does not take paints or adhesives easily, if the suface area is big enough I use 1000 grit wet or dry witha weak solultion of washing up liquid, rinse and let it air dry.Tough coat is very good but it stinks, use in a realy well ventilated area, hope this meandering helps.

Last edited:
D

duncan

...and most fuel-proofers arent fully proof against nitro fuel for about a week after applying. ABS is a tricky material, any reason you dont leave it white and just add stick-on trim and/or lettering ?