paint chart cross overs

D

Doggy

Hi I need to ask a question. I have a new Humbrol paint chart and I was trying to cross reference Vallejo paints. Problem is I can't make much sense of it.

I was hoping to use airbrush paints. For example black is 33 with Humbrol, the Vallejo is 950 but I can't find it in the shop as 950.

The closest I get is Black FS37030-RAL9004-RLM22. So what am I missing?

cheers.

G

GazB

Hi Doggy, i think you are getting confused with Vallejo's different paint ranges - Black is 950 in the Model Color range, but if you are looking for the pre-thinned Model-Air range for airbrushing then 33 in equivalent to 71.057 which can be found here :-

ScaleModelShop

If you are using vallejo's "equivalents" document it's easy to get confused as they list the model color range first - The Model Air range starts at page 12.

If your not using the "equivalents" document then it's worth having a look at, you can get it here :-

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/0a7704aaaa5a177c28357eebecd1082b/vallejo-equivalence-2012.pdf

Hope that helps!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is useful too:

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

As is this

Model paint database

and this

Clostercolor - Cross Chart

and finally - this.

Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

It can be confusing at first but all of this help a lot. I will often use the last chart to identify the right colour for the aircraft, by FS number rather than just the name and then cross reference that by the first chart to identify the colour. It doe not always work that way and when it does not I will look for an equivalent Tamiya or other make to the FS number and in the first chart look for the equivalent Vallejo. Most of the time by using these kind of combinations you can get a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Doggy Vallejo on their colour sheet also list the WW11 colours for aircraft of Britain Germany & USA.

One difficulty I have found is that the comparison charts are not perfectly accurate . Colours may be very close & then given as equivalents. But if you go through a variety of steps ie Humbrol to FS then Vallejo you can come up with quite a difference in the original colour. Also noted that some manufacturers of models are a bit wayward with their colours.

Also watch out for colour cards especially those printed out at home as I bet 99% of printers are not colour matched. Vallejo by the way produce hand painted colour cards.

O dear me this all sounds so pesimistic. Cannot spell this either because I am to lazy to spell check it. Sorry (not really). Going shopping bye.

Laurie

D

Doggy

Once again thanks very much. This is mind boggling now a days.

I never realised the Vallejo stuff was prethinned, that's really handy.

I haven't bought the airbrush,comp etc yet, just doing my homework.

As long as I can get the colours I'm happy.

Incidently, does anyone use the Trumpeter paint mixer? Any good/bad?

Thanks.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Incidently, does anyone use the Trumpeter paint mixer? Any good/bad?

Thanks.
Got a mixer not sure if it is a Trumpeter.

But if you are using Vallejo you do not need it. Mix the Vallejo usually by shaking. Or removing the dropper & using something with a small flat end give it a twirl. The Vallejo Model Air is easy to shake. The Vallejo Model is a lot thicker & takes more work to mix. Not tried it but some do roll the container on a top to help mix. I knock the base on the top to help.

Using enamel in the Humbrol tins originally I used the mixer which worked well. Then I went all Vallejo & have never been the same since despite intensive treatment. Such is life.

Laurie

D

Doggy

Thanks again. i was thinking about using the mixer on my starter set paints. They have settled a bit. Can I still use the starter paints in an airbrush or arer they only good enough for a brush?

T

tecdes

Easy way to find out Doggy. Try them but you may have to experiment with thinning. If they do not work nothing lost nothing gained. They will not hurt the airbrush but make sure you give the airbrush a good clean top to bottom when finished & straight away.

Best to test on an old plastic bottle rather than your model parts. Splattered wings are a pain. Splodged fuselages are the beginings of all new languages.

Laurie