Painting fail !!!!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've been doing a red Arrows Harrier for the what if SIG build, the build is going well but the painting isn't. As a boy I used Humbrol enamals with no undercoat with little or no problems, and as I had a tin of red sat doing nowt, so I thought I'd use that - with no undercoat - I know, I know. So now I have a partly painted plane which even after 4 coats of the enamal, the squadron green filler still shows through, I'm brush painting it, I tried to remove the enamal paint and only got in a worse mess. Anyone got any advice before I throw it out the window.

Tony.

P.s. I got another Harrier just in case this one can't be saved, but it's an 1:48 airfix sea harrier and wasn't really what I wanted but the GF - Love her - insisted I should get it and try again. Any help, advice or condolences will be gratefully received.

First Name
Adrian
I feel your pain, I have a Mustang car that shows a black line from not undercoating it,, only thing I might suggest is to strip it right back and undercoat then carry on?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ouch!

You might get away with rubbing it down with wet and dry, giving it a coat of matt red and when that is dry, paint the gloss red on top...matt paint normally has more dense pigments and cover better, hiding all kinds of sins....

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cheers guys, @ Ian, I was using Humbrol matt red, and was going to shine it up with some Pledge floor wax - new Klear - but the filler still showed through, could it be that the paint wasn't stirred enough, or is there something in the squadron filler that seeped through the paint? It only really showed at the wing "shoulders", View attachment 51648 all the other filled areas painted fine, both outriggers were filled and I've stripped one and the other one is OK

Tony..

View attachment 54233

Harrier paint fail 014.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ah! that kind of blows my theory out of the water don't it! lol

Ian M

A

Alpher

Some paints and colours just have more "transparency" than others due to the strengh/quantity of the pigments used. Gloss colours have a great deal more transparency than matt due to whatever the matting agent is ib the matt paints but i remember Humbrol Red paint being very transparent. a good check to see how transparent a paint is, is to paint a black line on a uniform gray or white surface then spray or brush the desired colour over that

If you try this with a variety of colours you will see a variety of different results

C

CDW

\ said:
to paint a black line on a uniform gray or white surface then spray or brush the desired colour over that
This just reminded me of the fact that a car-sprayer friend of mine used to spray his mixed colours over a newspaper page ... it's just clicked (after many years) that this would be for the same reason ....