Painting straight lines with tape

S

Stefan290790

Hey all!

As it says in the title, could anyone help me with this?

I need to paint straight white lines on a model and I know people use tape but which kind of tape should I use?

Thanks!!

T

treyzx10r

There are several types that work good for this,tamiya,3m just to name a couple. Thing is they all have different tach strengths I would do a test shoot on some scraps to see what works best for you. Also I usually spray a light coat of clear after the mask is applied to help eliminate creeps and bleed throughs.

First Name
Dave
I use Tamiya tape as well.I burnish the edge of the tape with a cocktail stick to stop paint creeping under.

T

tecdes

Hi Stefan

I have used a couple of times Finespray Fine Line Green Tape.

This tape is an automotive tape used for spraying lines on cars. Not only straight but curved. But not as curvy as we sometimes have on small scale models.

Found it worked well. Very stretchable & easy to remove. Problem is that with any tape you have the paint sticking to both tape & model homegenously. Tried on the last cockpit cover painting to gently score with a fresh Morton blade along the tape line & this provided a better separation. Not sure how this would work/look on paint on paint.

As Steve (Stona) made the point in another article recently it is the strata you are painting on which provides the difference. After reading this I looked at decals which stayed silver after pricking multiple klear coats etc & sure neough the paint base was not as good as it should be.

Laurie

O

os40

\ said:
There are several types that work good for this,tamiya,3m just to name a couple. Thing is they all have different tach strengths I would do a test shoot on some scraps to see what works best for you. Also I usually spray a light coat of clear after the mask is applied to help eliminate creeps and bleed throughs.
What kind of clear do you spray? Link please?

T

treyzx10r

Usually Tamiya TS-13 it depends on the finish,also if you're mixing paint types its a good idea to do a test to make sure they are compatable

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here's a good one if you need to follow a complex shape and get a straight line or indeed if you need a very curvy line. plastic electricians insulating tape. Its soft (if its not stone cold) stretchy and can follow a good curve.

It also cuts well and still leaves a sharp edge, best of all its cheap! It's very good for waterlines on ships hulls as well.

Only one real minus, it can leave a slight residue of sticky. A quick swipe with a cotton bud and a paint safe spirit soon gets rid of it.

Ian M

T

tecdes

That is a good idea Ian.

I used insulation tape on boat terminals to protect from the salt environment.

I used to gently heat the tape which made it more pliable & also slightly increased the stickiness & proof against moisture creeping under. You need good tape as the cheaper brands are not so good on the edges.

Must try this on cockpit covers as it cuts with a good clean edge.

Laurie

H

Hooterville75

I normally just seal the masking tape with a tiny layer of Pledge (Future) Floor wax. It stops paint from seeping under the masking tape. Do your masking, then take a average size brush and dip in future. Paint a layer of Future over the tape. It seals the tape.

I

ian lanc

When you do mask any lines always look down the masked line rather than straight at it !

First Name
Adrian
Never had any issues using Tamiya tape, like others have said make sure you burnish it down and test the paints if your using different types. If you need to do tight curves try using one of the rescribing stencils with the different shapes and sizes on it to cut your tape in the desired contour.

T

tecdes

Hey Ade that is a good bit of advice.

Why have I not thought of that. Used a variety of large things washers, bottles etc but this is great for window masking which have tight curves

Laurie