Painting White Metal Parts

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

I've tried to spray the white metal under carriage of the Sturmovik that I'm building. I used Vallejo model air paint which seems to go on fine but it doesn't matter how long you leave the paint to cure when handled the paint just rubs off. The White metal has been cleaned to remove all grease but the paint doesn't seem to stick. Any suggestions please.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thought you had to paint the white metal with a primer before using 'normal' paint on it?

B

Boldman

Yup you need a primer before trying to attach acrylic to white metal.

T

tecdes

Alternative Vaughan is to try either Vallejo Satin or Matt varnish. All the varnishes have a great stickability especially if you forget to wash or do not wash well the airbrush.

Laurie

C

CDW

or use the bird grit method. I've never primed white metal or lead parts since I started using it.

P

Polux

A time ago I start a figure of white metal. First I painted everything with primer. Even it's not finished, but there is no problem in painting with acrylic or oils later.

Regards

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the advice chaps, sprayed the parts with vallejo surface primmer which is poly/acrylic and it seems to have done the trick:smiling3:

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bung all the bits in a plastic box with a couple of handfulls of budgie grit and put the lid on the give it a gentle shake for a couple of minuets. sift all the parts out of the sand and ta daaaaaa sand blasted bits.

Ian M

T

tecdes

John it has been named as GritColin after Colin CDW the instigator of this very useful method.

Unfortunately as yet I believe he has not made a cent out of it.

Awful shame.

Laurie

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I can be thick at times, it's was obvious and i didn't see it :ohno:. Great idea, going to give it a go.

Have fun, John

C

CDW

"Gritcolin" ....I still chuckle at that Laurie :smiling3: :smiling3:

Anyway John ... yes it does work .. very well in fact. .... a few things it is great at is white metal parts, lead figures, any plastic figures or fine/small/odd shaped parts you've built and they need a fine sanding whilst keeping all the detail.......

.............and the lastest one .... those horrible band type armour tracks that have that real shiney surface that no weathering wash (acrylic or oil) will stick to .... five minutes shaking in a jar of grit and they come out lovely and have a "road worn" look to them (i reference my Korean K1-A1 build (modern armour GB) for an example)