Panel lines

M

mungo69

Hi,

I'm a new member so treat me gently!

I have recently started modelling again (last time I was in my early teens) and this time i'm wanting to get a professional feel so i'm starting to learn how to use an airbrush. I have a few practice kits to use with the airbrush so i learning slowly and i have a range of 1/48 kits to do properly.

Whenever i look at experienced modellers finished kits i want to know how you do the cockpit detailing i.e. paint knobs/dials etc and secondly how to show the fuselage detailing i.e. panelling, rivets.

Cheers

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cockpit detailing. Once I've got the 'pit looking how I want it I do all those little details with a fine brush under a magnifier. Dials do vary. If they are well moulded simply dry brushing white can give a good effect. Personally I think decals look best. To simulate the shiny glass of the faces a drop of Klear or gloss varnish can be applied.I use a nice glass of red wine to steady the hand, at least that's what I tell the missus.

Panel lines. These may be recessed or raised. The first technique applies to both. this is preshading. Once the model is primed use your airbrush to trace all the major panel lines in a dark colour, you don't need to be too precise which is lucky for me. Most people do this with black or dark grey. On blue/grey lower surfaces a green may work. Some even do "same colour" preshading using a darker version of the top coat. The real trick is applying the top coat in a way that leaves this shading to show subtely through.

You can apply a wash to recessed lines. You can buy pre-made "sludge" washes in various shades. I would recommend Pro-modeller washes. Phil does an excellent "how to" video on his website. You may make your own oil wash. I dilute a small amount of artists oil paint in turpenoid (some use lighter fluid). You can run this into the recessed lines from a fine brush. It pretty much wicks in by itself. Any boo-boos can be wiped away with some solvent. You have more control off colour this way.

This system sort of works with raised lines if you run the wash along the lines. You may need a slightly thicker wash.

you can also highlight both types of lines with a sharp soft pencil. You need to be careful as the model can, inevitably, look drawn on! I have seen this method look very effective.

In my personal opinion these effects are very often way overdone, it seems to be the modern way. I would not presume to tell anyone how to build their model but have a look at contemporary photos of your intended "victim" and decide how far you want to go.

A Japanese aircraft parked on a jungle air field will weather differently to a Spitfire on a muddy air field in Kent!

There are many variations to these techniques. If you've got any specific questions ask away, someone will try to help you out.

Good luck with it.

Steve

G

Gladiator111

Hi Mungo,

First of all this site forum offers a fantastic array of help and advice, basics and advanced hints and tips, useful links with ideas tried and tested to help you on your way to pro modelling. These guys really know what they're doing as I too have recently got back into modelling and they have been a great help.

If you want to get movie type advice, a good place to start is youtube of all places. There are loads of videos that show airbrushing techniques and also drybrush effects for cockpit detailing. Also, go to Promodellers.com - Promodeller Home for further free advice with airbrush detailing by Philip and he also offers a really good weathering wash (sorry, no I don't have shares in his business ;o)) for panelling effects etc.

Eh, when I was a lad....It's not like it was when all you had was a couple of airfix enamel paints, some of your dad's white spirits, a tube of glue and a brush.

Anyways, I Hope this is a good starting point to help you back into the world of scale modelling.

Cheers,

Chris

M

mungo69

Thats some very useful remarks. Many thanks.

I've also been to Promodellers website....blimey that Phil is a bit of a lengend. Going to be using him for reference materials as well as you guy's.

I'll upload photos once i've got the result i'm looking for and i'll look forward to any comments you may have.

Thanks again!!

Jeremy

:plane: