papa 695s Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I got this from Steve ( Airborne01 ) last year I've put everything else on hold ( except the Talbot Lago ) and going to start this.
DSCN5384.JPGDSCN5385.JPGDSCN5386.JPGDSCN5387.JPGDSCN5388.JPGDSCN5389.JPGDSCN5390.JPGDSCN5391.JPGDSCN5392.JPGDSCN5393.JPGDSCN5394.JPGDSCN5395.JPG
It as been started, but only a few parts of the tub and wheel well.
DSCN5400.JPG
DSCN5401.JPG
Steve also gave me the metal undercarriage set for this.
DSCN5405.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL I SEE these old javilin's up at RAF COLTISHALL an they made a very funny sound when the engines were running about to take of sort of whooo - whoooing noise an the had 4 firestreake missiles under the wings in the very early 60's an this just before the lightnings came an on the front wheel they had a funny little mudgard that use to amuse me an some parts were made of wood the tail an such
but looking forward to the build Ian
chris

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I'll follow along as I also have this one staring down at me from my supplies cupboard. I'm planning to build a Wattisham based aircraft, but I can't actually remember ever seeing one..... must be too young... :cool:

Nick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’ll be watching Ian , from what ive heard its one of Airfix’s best ever kits , and there's just something about the javelin . Its a really interesting looking aircraft , from a time when developments in aviation were moving at a rapid pace .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I made the 1/48 Dynavector Javelin ( a vac-form ) last century, well before the Airfix model was produced. At 1/48 it makes a very impressive model - the area and depth of the wings is big - and the huge tailplane! Sadly the vac-form construction wasn't really suited to such a big beast, the seams kept on splitting, due to the thin plastic flexing - which you only found out after assembly! It was constantly under repair ( I don't think CA was readily available then ), and I gave up repairing & repainting - eventually!
I'll follow this with interest............
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I made the 1/48 Dynavector Javelin ( a vac-form ) last century, well before the Airfix model was produced. At 1/48 it makes a very impressive model - the area and depth of the wings is big - and the huge tailplane! Sadly the vac-form construction wasn't really suited to such a big beast, the seams kept on splitting, due to the thin plastic flexing - which you only found out after assembly! It was constantly under repair ( I don't think CA was readily available then ), and I gave up repairing & repainting - eventually!
I'll follow this with interest............
Dave
Dave I tried a Vac-Form kit one time it was a disaster I run and hide when I just here that name

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave I tried a Vac-Form kit one time it was a disaster I run and hide when I just here that name
Lee,
in the 70's, if you wanted a model of an obscure aircraft, then vac-forms were really your only option, unless you fancied full scratch building! They took a lot of effort & time to produce a passable model ( only to have your ego crushed by someone saying " Nice Model! Airfix or Revell? " ).
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee,
in the 70's, if you wanted a model of an obscure aircraft, then vac-forms were really your only option, unless you fancied full scratch building! They took a lot of effort & time to produce a passable model ( only to have your ego crushed by someone saying " Nice Model! Airfix or Revell? " ).
Dave
Dave at the time I didn’t realize you had to have a donor kit with it and had to cut it out very accurately. I bet that stings when the would do that. Sorry Ian for off topic I’ll shut up now.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

My knowledge of post WW2 British jets is sadly VERY lacking and so I don't think I'd heard of this aircraft.

It's a nice looking aircraft on the box art, hopefully it will turn into an equally good looking kit.

Good luck with the build.

ATB.

Andrew