Papa695s Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just another heads up Ian for when you get to fitting the undercarriage. There are only locating holes for the rear pegs on the struts and not the front ones. I checked a you tube build and it looked like the guy drilled his own, not a biggy but at least you know

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I still can't get over the huge exhaust piping that goes through the front of the cockpit. I suppose that acts as a cockpit heater too!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm late in Ian and playing ketchup (as usual). A nice kit and your work is making it look really good. Nice woodwork and love the wicker seat. Gaspatch also make wicker seats and they have a nice selection of MGs for various WWI aircraft too. Just a thought if you want to get replacement MGs for the kit parts....

Prost
Allen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress Ian , engine looks brilliant , youve nailed the oily steel look ( castor oil was what these old rotaries used i believe and they used to leak like nobodies business , hence most pilots wearing silk scarves - to put over their nose and mouth to stop them inhaling the vapours !)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice progress Ian , engine looks brilliant , youve nailed the oily steel look ( castor oil was what these old rotaries used i believe and they used to leak like nobodies business , hence most pilots wearing silk scarves - to put over their nose and mouth to stop them inhaling the vapours !)
Hi Tony. Those engines were designed with total loss oil systems. They didn’t leak as such, it’s how they were designed…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pilots were never constipated...
Pete

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Not sure if you’ve got there yet but another heads up about the stringin, check closely as they don’t appear to be correct. Coming out of the fuselage towards the rear it shows a wire that they loop through it but when you come to actually attach it it’s the same wire that goes out that comes back again if that makes sense

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work on the Camel Ian. The wicker seat, cockpit detail, seatbelt all look excellent. And the engine really does have that metallic sheen.
Quality stuff.
Loving the vibrant red cowl and wheels! They will really pop on the finished model
ATB
Paul

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure if you’ve got there yet but another heads up about the stringin, check closely as they don’t appear to be correct. Coming out of the fuselage towards the rear it shows a wire that they loop through it but when you come to actually attach it it’s the same wire that goes out that comes back again if that makes sense
Yes I’ve seen that Mick, I noticed it within the instructions. I’ve got a cunning plan ( as Boldrick would say). I’m going to attach one end of the rigging ( I use EZ line ) to a piece of stretched sprue then push it through one of the holes in the side. So opposite to what the instructions say, then feed the other end through the rest of the way it should go, then attach the end to another piece of stretched sprue and push it though the other hole. If that makes sense.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Yes I’ve seen that Mick, I noticed it within the instructions. I’ve got a cunning plan ( as Boldrick would say). I’m going to attach one end of the rigging ( I use EZ line ) to a piece of stretched sprue then push it through one of the holes in the side. So opposite to what the instructions say, then feed the other end through the rest of the way it should go, then attach the end to another piece of stretched sprue and push it though the other hole. If that makes sense.
Exactly what I’ve done mate