Paul's Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi and a very happy New Year to everyone!
It's really nice to be part of a group build again (thank you to Ian for suggesting this). This has proved to be a really popular subject for a GB and I'm seeing some really wonderful and varied entries even at this early stage.
This is my offering - the Trumpeter 1/32 Stringbag (Mk.1)!

I've been thinking of what I might do with this build and I think I've settled on a simple diorama. I'm hoping to depict an aircraft during the attack on the Bismarck. This adds a few complications to the build but I think this is very 'doable'. This diorama is by no means a first for the Swordfish and I have seen a couple of other builds along similar lines. Mine will (hopefully) be a little different to the dioramas I've seen, in so much as it will feature a motorised prop and a full crew. I can see a number of potential 'banana skins' up the road: 1. I need to alter/sculpt a 3 man crew (I have my base figures from ICM), 2. Balancing the prop when motorising 3. The seascape, which I would like to cast in resin (so that the torpedo can be seen in the translucent 'water', but may have to settle for some type of sculpt to hide the electrics.

Anyhoo, that's the plan here's the sprue shots..
Swordfish AA copy.jpgSwordfish BB copy.jpgSwordfish 10 copy.jpgSwordfish 14 copy.jpgSwordfish 12 copy.jpgSwordfish 22b copy.jpgSwordfish 24b copy.jpgSwordfish 25b copy.jpgSwordfish 21 copy.jpgSwordfish 26b copy.jpgSwordfish 27b copy.jpgSwordfish 31 copy.jpg
Swordfish 18 copy.jpgSwordfish 19 copy.jpgSwordfish 20 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Swordfish 01 copy.jpg
    Swordfish 01 copy.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Swordfish 18 copy.jpg
    Swordfish 18 copy.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Swordfish 19 copy.jpg
    Swordfish 19 copy.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Swordfish 21b copy.jpg
    Swordfish 21b copy.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Swordfish 28b copy.jpg
    Swordfish 28b copy.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a real interest grabber. Quite a project. Will be very interesting to follow and see how you overcome the issues a dio like this will throw up.
Good luck Paul.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Missing a couple of shots from the sprues as I could only upload 20 pics. Here's the rest (the second shot being the Extradecals sheet).
Thanks, PSwordfish 28b copy.jpgSwordfish 01 copy.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys I hope my efforts match your faith!
Cheers Ian, I thought I had pressed the 'insert full image' button but I think things just slowed up too much and it didn't register.
Thanks
P

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, this is definitely gonna be a good 'un!!! Great to see you jumping into the GB. Lots of AM and a great plan too. I guess the interior is pretty detailed as Trumpy gives you clear fusi parts as an extra. Can't wait to see how this goes Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Are you sure ? Rotary was a very early engine, used quite a bit around WW1. I'm nearly sure this is a radial.
But anyway, a 1:32 Strinbag, this will be great to watch being buitl.
It was a Bristol Pegasus radial fitted in the Mk1.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic choice paul , its a massively impressive beast in 1/32 , ive often been tempted to get this kit . The dio sounds excellent cant wait to see the build . Cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tony. It is definitely a big ol’ bird in 1/32. Let’s see how it builds!

Regarding the engine. That will simplify things a bit - one less thing to worry about. I’ve edited my first post so as not to confuse things. Thanks for the heads up Colin :smiling3:

Cheers
P

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
So I've made a start to the Stringbag...
As usual things begin in the cockpit. I've started adding a few bits of etch from the Eduard set. The floor features a nice treaded pattern which should weather nicely and the various levers have braces and finer bits and bobs to busy-up the cabin. The upper deck of the cockpit and the pilots seat are not glued as I've yet to sculpt the pilot and it will be easier to paint. It's not a lot but it's a start!

I've also been thinking about how I'm going to go about mounting the aircraft on the seascape base and motorising the prop. My main concern is where to position the brass tube that supports the model in the fuselage (this will also supply the electric for the motor). This will be quite a heavy model when complete and very 'front heavy'. At the moment I'm thinking the brass tube will be positioned somewhere between (or just behind) the undercarriage but this will depend on how much space there is once the cockpit is in.

Going to try and get a bit more done tomorrow. Time is marching on and I'm aware I have a lot to do :flushed:
Cheers, Paul

IMG_2932.JPGIMG_2925.JPG

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This could turn out VERY interesting!

But the Bismark strike always seems to be the go to. I wish someone would do a Taranto job. That's three battleships disabled!
It is true that the Bismarck action is modelled quite a lot, I’ve seen at least 2 other dioramas that depict the same. The reason a chose to do this was to have some kind of theme going in future builds. I have the 1/200 & 1/700 Bismarck as well as 1/700 kits of the Prinz Eugen, Hood, PoW and the Ark Royal. I’d like to build a series of models that tell some kind of story. The 1/200 Bismarck will stand alone but the smaller scale ships will hopefully go into seascape dioramas. I think a Taranto story would be equally interesting though

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
This could turn out VERY interesting!

But the Bismark strike always seems to be the go to. I wish someone would do a Taranto job. That's three battleships disabled!
Every year my old Squadron, (819 NAS), would produce a huge diorama of the battle of Taranto complete with attacking Swordfish. Then duly blow the whole diorama up. Another Taranto night gone up in flames!!! It has been done but never lasts!!!!!!!