PCM 1/32 Tempest V

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is the 1/32 scale kit from Pacific Coast Models. There is a build thread here for those interested to see how the kit goes together.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-32-pcm-tempest-v.19965/

I've attempted Remy van Lierde's aircraft. More on this Belgian airman here.

http://www.hawkertempest.se/vanlierde.htm

Here's the original.

Here's mine, without the canopy cover and the dead flat terrain of Newchurch on the Romney Marshes.

This is around the 17th June 1944. No 3 Squadron and the rest of 150 Wing had been put on alert to deal with the V-1 attacks which had just started. Van Lierde would eventually be credited with 40, his first was shot down on the 17th. The weather was a little better on this weekend and five other pilots were also successful.

More pictures.

A vain attempt to show all the lovely photo-etch in the cockpit.

This kit makes a great looking Tempest. It doesn't leap off the sprues and throw itself together but the fit is generally good. You will get to practice cleaning up flash on just about all the injection moulded parts, but that's a minor quibble.

I wouldn't suggest it as a first kit but anyone with a few under their belt would have no need to approach this with trepidation.

I forgot to say that this is out of the box except for the pull down step which I've borrowed from a Hurricane and the whip aerial on top of the fuselage which is made from a bristle and white glue.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very very nice Steve. I like that a lot. That is one fantastic paint job.

Five stars...easy.

dare I ask how much PCM models are priced...

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ian. I think the PCM kits are at the upper end of 1/32 prices, but not as dear as the Tamiya uber kits or even Zoukei-Mura. I think the Tempest was about 65 quid. I've no idea how the Special Hobby version will be priced, but they'll struggle to do it for much less.

You can estimate from the first couple of pictures just how goo a representation of the Tempest this kit is.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Richard
Hello Steve,

nice looking bird you got there.

Cheers Richi

P

Paul P

Hi Steve, this is totally out of my comfort zone as far as models go, theres no figure :sad: , but i love the look of the kit and the way you have finished it, very neat clean job with loads of detail

Paul

C

CDW

I want a canopy cover !!! :smiling3: :smiling3: ;)

Seriously though, this is a really good representation of an actual aircraft... I followed the build and picked up a few things (most needed with my inadequacy at aircraft building).

Definitely worth five stars and I've hit that 'great build' doodab for you.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you very much for the nice comments, they are appreciated.

Colin, I am contemplating a canopy cover. At the moment the rear canopy is just tacked on with some white glue so I can remove it, re-mask it, and do a tissue and PVA cover which theoretically would hold its shape and be a removable option. I'm always a bit wary of anything "theoretical" :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

0ne48thtel

Steve cracking build I like it a lot. If I were you I would make a plastasine or blue tac mould of the canopy and do the cover from that. I say that only because I recently messed a canopy up trying to make a cover for it that I intended to remove. At least doing it with blue tac or plastasine if it goes wrong you only loose them and not ruin a canopy

P

Polux

Superb work Steve, with your habitual high level.

Thanks again to share all the steps of this build with us. Your threads are a very good place to learn modelling skills as general history.

Great Build!

Polux

First Name
Dave
Superb build as usual Steve.Makes me want to do my Eduard 1/48 kit.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Stunning, totally stunning. One day I may build to this quality. Great build from me Steve.

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work Steve, it was great to watch your progress of the build and it looks the bees knees here in the completed thread. Is there a fine line on the spinner in the original or is that a spinner cap catching a shadow? Top build mate.

P

Paul P

Steve you could make a removable cover from milliput, if you mix it together then sprinkle a bit of flour on it you can roll it out very thinly, then cut out a rough shape and then wet the canopy and put the milliput onto it and shape it to how you want. when the milliput goes hard you will be able to remove it by gently levering it away from the canopy, it should also leave the canopy ready to replaced, it might need a bit of touching up but it should be fine

Paul

W

Willi262

Looks like she's waiting for a pilot to show up, and then ready for take off. At first I thought I was looking at a CG-photo of a Tempest and not a model, until I looked a little closer. Extremely well done and much better than what my skill set allows for. I still hand paint everything, and only rarely use anything from a can.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks again for the comments and also the suggestions for a canopy cover. I might just use a mixture of the two! I think making a blank of the canopy is a good idea as it's the only one I have, then I can try the methods suggested and see what works, or more specifically what I can make work. I've also heard of attempting this using latex from a glove (which I have a box of).

Joe I've got a couple of references which reckon their is some kind of marking on the spinner and that would be my instinct too. I think the idea that this would be in Belgian national colours (rather than a flight colour or something) comes from the Tempest site you kindly provided a link for. There are some pretty eminent contributors to that site.

I tried drawing them, sort of guided free hand and ended up re-spraying the spinner, so that didn't go terribly well. I think I've worked out the diameter of a suitable circle and will attempt to make a decal next.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply superb steve! a fantastic build of a true icon . Presence? its got it in bucketloads , great build mate , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
***** all the way Steve. The special Hobbies kit is coming in at about £42 so not a bad price, so I better start putting some money aside or maybe an early Christmas pressie.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
***** all the way Steve. The special Hobbies kit is coming in at about £42 so not a bad price, so I better start putting some money aside or maybe an early Christmas pressie.
That would be good if that is indeed the retail price. I will be in for a Tempest II, though I see the price is still tba on Hannants.

Cheers

Steve