Phil's Eduard spitfire mk IXc late version

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi All

Here we are then, all finished apart from the door latch which I have only just noticed is missing but have put all my photo gear away so will have to put on another time.

Again this is the first model I have built since I was probably about 12 years old so its been a real learning curve (not to mention pricey to buy all the kit from scratch again) and I probably should have picked something a little easier for my first one especially with all the band painting and invasion stripes etc.

Saying that it has been really enjoyable and the Eduard kit (although I have nothing really to compare it with) was an absolute beauty, the best thing apart from just the quality of the whole kit is the instructions, if only they were all the same huh? All paints were Vallejo air.

The bits I need practice on more than anything else are canopy prep/paint and weathering which incidentally almost drove me to drink!

Thanks to all for your help and support it would have been a lot more difficult without you guys especially to John (Airfix Modeller Freak), Si (eddiesolo), Robert (Robert1968), Joe (flyjoe180) and Peter (takeslousyphotos).

Any feedback or critisism as always is very welcome, thanks for looking and happy modelling...

Bring on the Me262 A1A/U4

Cheers

Phil

View attachment 112962

View attachment 112963

View attachment 112964

View attachment 112965

View attachment 112966

View attachment 112967

View attachment 112968

View attachment 112969

View attachment 112970

Spit1.jpg

Spit2.jpg

Spit3.jpg

Spit4.jpg

Spit5.jpg

Spit6.jpg

Spit7.jpg

Spit8.jpg

Spit9.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nothing wrong with that build Phil, awesome result. The weathering you have applied is just right, not overstated and enough to bring the model to life. Great build.

L

Laurie

Think you have cracked it as your first model in 21 years. :rolleyes:

Nicely finished as Joe has mentioned understated weathering. Just right even tho. you did not succumb to the gin wine or beer. :cool:

Laurie

P

phikoleoputra

That is a wonderful Spitfire Phil, bring on the mext project :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The spit really is outstanding mate. It reflects very well on the spits clean lines. Next time you do a Spit, try using a silver pencil and doing chipping effects around the cowling and the gun bay panels. I bought one of these high quality pencils for $2.40 (I know, for a pencil it is expensive), but it offers great control and realism to weathering at a low cost. Keep in mind that the crowbars were NOT painted red on wartime aircraft. The only reason why I did on my Spit MK VIII, is because I was recreating the currently flying aircraft which has it's crowbar painted red. Usually they were painted the green interior colour of the aircraft.

Looking forward to the Me 262. The U4 mostly operated with JV 44, so the aircraft has an interesting history. If you really want to lift your 262 into a different league, try using a master turned barrel for the flak gun and an eduard etched seatbelt set with airscale dials and placards. I highly recommend using them as eduard don't produce PE for the Dragon 262A series. Don't forget the resin wheels. The kit rubber ones will ruin your wheel hubs if used (over a long period of time). The engine is designed for the Dragon Ho 229, so it will not fit the kit cowlings. Also, the kit engine will benefit from piping and wiring from scratchbuilding. If you don't want to invest in tons of scratchbuilding material, buy an AM option. There is the CMK, Quickboost and Aires Jumo 004 engines around. I recommend the Quickboost one, as it is cheap, requires no putting together and only requires a small amount of sanding to get it to fit to the Dragon kit.

John

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
superb looking spit,I do like it,

very well done, ;)

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
The spit really is outstanding mate. It reflects very well on the spits clean lines. Next time you do a Spit, try using a silver pencil and doing chipping effects around the cowling and the gun bay panels. I bought one of these high quality pencils for $2.40 (I know, for a pencil it is expensive), but it offers great control and realism to weathering at a low cost. Keep in mind that the crowbars were NOT painted red on wartime aircraft. The only reason why I did on my Spit MK VIII, is because I was recreating the currently flying aircraft which has it's crowbar painted red. Usually they were painted the green interior colour of the aircraft.
Looking forward to the Me 262. The U4 mostly operated with JV 44, so the aircraft has an interesting history. If you really want to lift your 262 into a different league, try using a master turned barrel for the flak gun and an eduard etched seatbelt set with airscale dials and placards. I highly recommend using them as eduard don't produce PE for the Dragon 262A series. Don't forget the resin wheels. The kit rubber ones will ruin your wheel hubs if used (over a long period of time). The engine is designed for the Dragon Ho 229, so it will not fit the kit cowlings. Also, the kit engine will benefit from piping and wiring from scratchbuilding. If you don't want to invest in tons of scratchbuilding material, buy an AM option. There is the CMK, Quickboost and Aires Jumo 004 engines around. I recommend the Quickboost one, as it is cheap, requires no putting together and only requires a small amount of sanding to get it to fit to the Dragon kit.

John
Hi John

Thanks for that, I had heard about the crowbar not being red but wasn't sure what to do.

Have you got an example/make of the type of silver pencil or is it just a generic type.

I have just started to look into the A1A/U4 and believe there was only two prototypes made, seems difficult to find colour shots online apart from the US captured Wilma Jeanne which I'm not going to do.

Also to be honest you lost me a bit in regards to the PE, remember I'm a newbie what is Airscale and Placards?

Then you put "The engine is designed for the Dragon Ho 229, so it will not fit the kit cowlings. Also, the kit engine will benefit from piping and wiring from scratchbuilding. If you don't want to invest in tons of scratchbuilding material, buy an AM option. There is the CMK, Quickboost and Aires Jumo 004 engines around. I recommend the Quickboost one"

Please tell me that again in Laymans terms, are you saying that the engine that comes with the kit won't fit?

I had a look for PE and had trouble finding it, I would like at least a new instrument panel and seat belts. Will any me262 resin wheels fit the model?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my Naivety, I'll get the hang of it I'm sure

Phil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi John
Thanks for that, I had heard about the crowbar not being red but wasn't sure what to do.

Have you got an example/make of the type of silver pencil or is it just a generic type.

I have just started to look into the A1A/U4 and believe there was only two prototypes made, seems difficult to find colour shots online apart from the US captured Wilma Jeanne which I'm not going to do.

Also to be honest you lost me a bit in regards to the PE, remember I'm a newbie what is Airscale and Placards?

Then you put "The engine is designed for the Dragon Ho 229, so it will not fit the kit cowlings. Also, the kit engine will benefit from piping and wiring from scratchbuilding. If you don't want to invest in tons of scratchbuilding material, buy an AM option. There is the CMK, Quickboost and Aires Jumo 004 engines around. I recommend the Quickboost one"

Please tell me that again in Laymans terms, are you saying that the engine that comes with the kit won't fit?

I had a look for PE and had trouble finding it, I would like at least a new instrument panel and seat belts. Will any me262 resin wheels fit the model?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my Naivety, I'll get the hang of it I'm sure

Phil
No need to apologise mate. The engine was designed for another kit, and as a result, the cowls will not fit, and also, it is a PLASTIC KIT engine, which means sparse detail. If you want a solution, shoot another question, and there is a wide variety of options. Not everything has to be AM.

As for airscale, they are decals. I ordered them direct from them, very cheaply and at great service as well. I bought the dials and placards in 1/48 and 1/32 for Luftwaffe. Check out these links. And yes, no PE for the dragon 262A-1a. Check out these three links. They are staple for a luftwaffe modeller (like me :smiling3: )

Please note eduard do make superfabric, and I do use them, but they literally take days to assemble, and are best pursued when you have a few years of modelling experience and patience. Superfabric is basically a thin fabric with PE buckles. Very fiddly and hard to construct. I like them, but they are also extremely hard to use. It possesses small pieces smaller than the normal eduard PE that the carpet monster loves.

Do not order the eduard seatbelts from eduard. Eduard's postage prices are terrible. I recommend BNA model world. Hannants has a spending minimum limit to overseas people, which put me off them forever. Be quick on the seatbelts, as I already bought one from them, which means they only have a few left, as they only keep 2 or 3 left

Also, Check out JV 44, the squadron of experten. They have an intriguing history which is linked to the U4 you are doing

Cheers, John

Instrument panel

http://airscale.co.uk/store.php#!/1-48-scale-Luftwaffe-Placards/p/38102413/category=9842266

http://airscale.co.uk/store.php#!/1-48-scale-Luftwaffe-Cockpit-Decals/p/39313020/category=9842273

Eduard seatbelts

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/49002.pdf

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/eduard/ed-49002

Last edited:
D

Doug Hughes

Great job Phil. No sign of the modelling skills having got rusty.

First Name
Robert
They say that all modellers at some stage in their career of modelling as a hobby will at some point build a spitfire or two or three ( think I have 11 spits of various scales and markings )

Then someone will come along not dissimilar to yourself and build a fantastic looking spitfire.

I am of course referring to you Phil. The skill and detail you have included is amazing and the weathering is just right, not overdone and not too less.

The ground crews did not like a dirty aircraft as they were as proud to keep the machines in working order as the pilot was using it as a tool, and too much grime would not benefit the aircraft, just like today you rarely see a very dirty aircraft.

Well done

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
They say that all modellers at some stage in their career of modelling as a hobby will at some point build a spitfire or two or three ( think I have 11 spits of various scales and markings )
Then someone will come along not dissimilar to yourself and build a fantastic looking spitfire.

I am of course referring to you Phil. The skill and detail you have included is amazing and the weathering is just right, not overdone and not too less.

The ground crews did not like a dirty aircraft as they were as proud to keep the machines in working order as the pilot was using it as a tool, and too much grime would not benefit the aircraft, just like today you rarely see a very dirty aircraft.

Well done

Robert
Wow Robert, thank you for those very kind words I was a little disappointed with the end result to be honest but just put it down to being my first kit and that it was a good learning curve, so to hear that is very encouraging indeed.

I realise our boys looked after our planes and were well maintened so I wanted that reflected in the weathering and I'm glad people have picked up on that.

I'm now sitting staring at the me262 trying to figure out johns message and wondering where to start feels weird being at the beginning of a build that's gonna test me even further... Need to research scratch building!

Thanks again

Phil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Wow Robert, thank you for those very kind words I was a little disappointed with the end result to be honest but just put it down to being my first kit and that it was a good learning curve, so to hear that is very encouraging indeed.
I realise our boys looked after our planes and were well maintened so I wanted that reflected in the weathering and I'm glad people have picked up on that.

I'm now sitting staring at the me262 trying to figure out johns message and wondering where to start feels weird being at the beginning of a build that's gonna test me even further... Need to research scratch building!

Thanks again

Phil
Sorry seeming a little obscure again. Here is scratchbuilding. It is basically the principle of using raw materials to make more detail via plastic, solder, lead.

Here is an example of scratchbuilding that I did. The yellow wiring and piping with all the boxes in the bay is scratchbuilt. The cowl latches are also scratchbuilt. Also, the front landing gear (which is shockingly painted :smiling3: ) has a hydraulic pipe. That was recreated with solder, painted to a metallic colour.

View attachment 113053

I hope you get what I mean on the airscale dials. They produce excellent results. As for the PE, I think you know what that is all about.

Hope that helps, John

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/

DSC04044.JPG

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Sorry seeming a little obscure again. Here is scratchbuilding. It is basically the principle of using raw materials to make more detail via plastic, solder, lead.
Here is an example of scratchbuilding that I did. The yellow wiring and piping with all the boxes in the bay is scratchbuilt. The cowl latches are also scratchbuilt. Also, the front landing gear (which is shockingly painted :smiling3: ) has a hydraulic pipe. That was recreated with solder, painted to a metallic colour.

View attachment 124082

I hope you get what I mean on the airscale dials. They produce excellent results. As for the PE, I think you know what that is all about.

Hope that helps, John

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/

http://www.albionalloys.co.uk/
Hi John,

Thanks again, after a couple of hours reading and vids it's all starting to come clear.

I was hoping to get a full pe instrument panel like the three piece ones you get with Eduard but it looks as though such a thing exists am I right?

Saying that I was impressed with air scale and will be placing a order today for dials, placards brass etc.

In regards to the quickboost engine (unless I'm being stupid) I can't see on the site an option to buy is there another site I can source from?

Scratch building definitely interests me and I did a bit on the spit come to think of it, I might not get to involved with sb on the 262 though we'll see.

Thanks again can't wait to start now

D

dubster72

You can't beat seeing a great Spitfire! Excellent job Phil, look forward to the 262

Cheers

Patrick