Pioneers of aeromodelling progress-Phil Smith.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Mr Veron himself,and still going strong and above all building models ( see latest BMFA News for a picture of his favourite model ) Phil Smith has managed to keep his interest going for aeromodelling and boats as well,designer of numerous kits and plans most of which were kitted at some stage from his Bournemouth premises.

At the time the ducted fan designs were coming on the market Phil realised the potential for kits to fit his famous Imp propulsion units into,the Lavochkin LA-7 was to prove a firm favourite as a practical flying subject,control line models were also in vogue and I remember building some of these excellent models to match up with my second hand diesels !

Another range were the small flying scale rubber jobs including the North American Harvard,Tiger Moth,Bebe Jodel,Puss Moth etc these were available at least up until a few years ago but I do not know the current status on these ?

So we have a legend in his own lifetime who has seen the modelling and kitting scene change so rapidly,this brings me to ask the question did we get just as much fun from these low tech products as we do in todays electronic world ? certainly I did and think that it helped me in tackling the more difficult jobs,you do not need a thick cheque book to enjoy these hobbies,and above all the type of kits that Veron produced gave you the basic material to work from and then it was up to you to add the finesse to the product before you.

I dont think there are many average modellers who can afford to go out buy a jet engine off the shelf,just think what materials that would buy ?

M

Malcolm Fisher

Pioneers of aeromodelling progress - Phil Smith

I was very sorry to see Veron kits disappear.

I have a Fournier powered by a .15 two stroke built from a Veron kit which I modified by reducing the dihedral and adding ailerons.

Am currently building a Tiger Moth using the plan obtained directly from Phil - a great guy.

I wish I had more time and resources to build more - would love the "Strutter" which Veron kitted.

Malcolm

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Malcolm,I had forgotton about that Fournier,if you have a picture of her then we would all love to see the model ? Phil also did a very well proportioned Hawker Tomtit which flew very well,just like all of his designs.

M

Malcolm Fisher

Hi there,

I might have a picture somewhere and will try to find one. Failing that I can take a new digital one which would be easier to post - when I learn how to send pictures to the forum.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi there,I might have a picture somewhere and will try to find one. Failing that I can take a new digital one which would be easier to post - when I learn how to send pictures to the forum.
*** Yes please do Malcolm,if John the owner is reading this would it be possible to re-send that tutorial you did a while back, to explain the picture uploading process for the new people ? Thank you.

M

mike white

Mike White

I 'm a new member trying to locate the plans of Veron's model high speed launch called "The Huntsman"

I missed buying an original kit of the model on

E-Bay the other day.It went eventually for around £180.............wow

Anyone out there with model boat plans.Either the "Huntsman " an "MTB" or air sea rescue launch ,something around 40" long .

I've aquired an old 5cc. ED Miles special marine diesel engine and am looking to build a fast boat in which to install it,with r/c.

Incidentally someone was asking if Phil Smith is still around.To the best of my knowledge he is.I'm a member of "SAM 35" (The Society of Antique Modellers,dedicated to the preservation of vintage model aeroplanes)and he writes to the magazine now and then.

His address is; Phil Smith,32,Verwood Crescent,Southbourne,Bournemouth,Dorset BH6 4JE

B

bogstandard

It is my honest opinion, the likes of Veron spawned not one but two generations, from the 60's to the 80's, of world beating, very dextrous people, that took pride in what they produced.

In the sixties, kids drooled at making one of the balsa and tissue rubber powered kits. I saved the pennies from my pocket money to buy a kit. Then would painstakingly spend weeks turning the contents of the box, just sheets of pre printed balsa and stripwood, into a real flying model. Hours were spent very carefully cutting out, with a single edged razor blade, all the printed items, then even more hours tidying them all up with a minute piece of sandpaper. Then when all this detailed work was eventually finished, you ended up with something that actually worked. I went onto model boats after that, but the same skills were required for the making of those. My first ever, being the Veron Police Launch.

The generations of people who did this went into industry and other hobbies with a detailed outlook on production where nothing was impossible, if you took your younger learned skills and put them to use.

In those days, the cost of a kit was huge compared to todays disposable income.

The how much? and how fast? kids of today can now go out and buy ready to run models for a few pounds, smash them up, and go and buy another. Nothing is being learned nowadays, except by a few dedicated young people, who have most probably learned their skills from a member of that golden era, or those that have a yearning to see how things are made.

If only the younger generation could be taken back in time, and relearn all those now dying skills, we would again be a nation of forward thinkers and producers, rather than money mad takers.

All because of a little rubber powered model made by Veron.

John

First Name
Tony
Hi Mike,

I realise this should be located in the 'Boats' section of this forum, as you are asking for plans of MTB or Huntsman. Phil sells a plan of his 'Vosper RTTL' at approx 30" long. Unfortunately this plan does not have the cutting templates, but it is not too difficult to make into a lovely model. I have bought this plan from Phil, however it has been labelled 'future building' as I am busy building his 26" 'Police Launch'. The 'Police Launch' comes with the templates and again is a superb model.

Tony

V

vnkiwi

Hi,

Have to agree with Bogstandard (John).

My first model was the Veron Sopwith Tri-plane, Dad did most of the building (me only around 7 or 8) and it flew brilliant, first time. Straight out the backdoor and just cleared the back fence to land in the school playing field. Perfect.

Last year, purchased the plan from Phil, a little watercolour high-lights and the plan now hangs in pride of place in my office. Will be a future build, but from the original plan from the kit, from all those years ago. Found while clearing my mums house out when she moved into a home about 3 months ago.

Mr Smith, we thank you, and may you continue in good health for many a year to come

vnkiwi.

M

mikeeuk

Re Phil smith

Hi came apon this thread and just thought i'll post this

I recently started flying planes after two years of heli's.. I meet a guy flying at a Bournemouth flying site called Collin Smith.. I have met his dad several times now.. Phil smith designer of vortex models for some 34 years.

He is now 93 and still flies .. but is in poor health nowdays.. here's an article I found on the BMFA site about him

http://www.bmfa.org/publications/bmfanews/files/issue65Aug2004.pdf

Page two at the bottom

He still sells plans of all the models that he designed and has a vast collection of models still

Mikee in Bournemouth UK