'Pirate P-38' 1/72

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
On June 12 1943, a P-38G landed at Capoterra in Sardinia, either due to a navigation error. or something more strange. The 'plane and pilot have never been properly identified, nor the mission it was on, nor the unit it was operating with, as the US US markings were cancelled almost immediately. What is visible of the codes in photos points to it possibly being from the 1st Fighter Group 94th Fighter Squadron
The 'plane was taken to Guidonia airbase by Tenente Colonello Angelo Tondi, who later flew it in actual combat, shooting down B-17 'Bonnie Sue' on 11 August and possibly also B-17 'Lady Evelyn' on 11 September. American reporting talks of a 'pirate' P-38 'carrying swastikas.' Due to the Armistice, and the unavailability of high octane fuel, the P-38 was handed on to the Germans and ended up at Rechlin, flying with Zirkus Rosarius with the codes T9+XB

So, my collection of Regia Aeronautica 'planes extends to war prizes. Any excuse really
IMG_1281.JPGIMG_1282.JPGIMG_1283.JPGIMG_1284.JPGIMG_1285.JPG

This is the old Airfix P-38F kit, slightly modified to make it a 'G.' As it's all rivet-frenzy and raised panels I sanded most of the surface detail off, then finished the panel lines with smeared fibre tip. Although the kit goes together really well, it has some major flaws, not least of which is the control panel, with integrally moulded spade grip, fits as the front of the cockpit bucket, so it's a centimeter under the cowling and invisible. A bit of cut and shut there. Also, not until the wheels were on did I discover there wasn't enough weight in the nose to not be a tail sitter! GAH! Oh, and two of the nose guns pinged into oblivion. One oddity, which is actually a really good idea, is the main wheel bays have the doors moulded on to them as a single piece. The closed doors are a separate piece
Didn't do too much weathering as the 'plane may have been pretty new when taken

So, next up will either be in the RA war prizes a Breguet 693 (but that's the SMER release of the old Heller kit, which has NO interior detail at all and a lot of glass to see through!) or a Beaufighter I. I may eventually get around to the captured Albacore, if I can face building a Pegasus kit (shudder)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Committee now full of Hot Cross Buns have returned from the kitchen in an organised manor and have awarded you
2020DB.jpg
Great back ground story and build , congratulations Chris .

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Still a bit of mystery about it even after all these years!.....I wonder who the pilot was... a defector possibly,who wanted to remain anonymous?!
Anyway, very nice model Steve-the-Duck!! looks great. :smiling3:

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wonder who the pilot was... a defector possibly,who wanted to remain anonymous?!
Chances are it was just someone who made a navigation error, or mistook an Italian airfield for an Allied one, or was running low on fuel so any airfield might have seemed better than taking your chances setting it down somewhere else. These things are not unknown to happen — it’s how Britain got its first close look at an Fw 190, for example.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chances are it was just someone who made a navigation error, or mistook an Italian airfield for an Allied one, or was running low on fuel so any airfield might have seemed better than taking your chances setting it down somewhere else. These things are not unknown to happen — it’s how Britain got its first close look at an Fw 190, for example.
I'm invariably a subscriber to the 'cock-up' rather than 'conspiracy' explanation of most things. A level of embarrassment by those involved usually leads to 'butt covering.'
One of the 'conspiracy' angles is that the P-38 pilot was carrying secret dispatches. Or was a member of the Mafia. He's supposed to have been a second lieutenant, so judge for yourself.
Interestingly, as can be seen from my model, only the US markings were erased (practically straight away) and tail bands and crosses added - the latter probably going some to saying it had 'swastikas' on the tail - but colour photos from Rechlin show the 'plane with a full yellow underside (standard for all tested captures) and the upper surfaces look dark green rather than olive drab, as I've used. At least one decal set for Rechlin says to do it Dunklegrun
BTW paints used here were Gunze Olive Drab, Lifecolor Grigio Azzurro Chiaro and Verde Olivia Curo to 'overpaint', and Halfords Grey Primer as a good approximation of the Neutral Grey underside

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a great result Chris. And a really fascinating story.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job chris , good to see a p38 in something different . Looking forward to the breguet 693 , its not a bad kit really , just the standard 70s lack of interior details but not a lot can be seen really so a few tape seat belts and youre away . As for the Pegasus - personally I would leave that particular nightmare where it belongs and plump for the Trumpeter 1/48 kit . Okay it might be £30 odd quid but its a small price to pay for retaining your sanity :smiling5: Cheers tony

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Tony, I would do the Special Hobby Albacore, but every other 'plane in my RA collection is 1/72! Apart from a CR.32, CR.42 & Macchi C.202 in 1/32...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tony, I would do the Special Hobby Albacore, but every other 'plane in my RA collection is 1/72! Apart from a CR.32, CR.42 & Macchi C.202 in 1/32...
I've always fancied doing a Macchi ... like the look of them :smiling3:
It'd have to be a 1/48th for me mind ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris,

That's turned out very well indeed.

Well done.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Easily done!!!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I've always fancied doing a Macchi ... like the look of them :smiling3:
It'd have to be a 1/48th for me mind ;)
Ive had this particular itch lately too andy , ive done a few in the past and always loved the macchis fantastic lines . So much do that on friday I scratched that itch and ordered a couple from John at the SM shop .

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, is it bad that I can tell the difference between a MC202, a MC205, a 205N, a G.55 and a Re2005 just by looking at them, or have I been collecting RA stuff for too long?
Of course, in 1/48 the assymetric wingspan of the Macchis should be more noticeable. Apparently, according to some Italian sources, no 202 kit has quite got the shape right in 1/72. But then, they've got access to the real thing. Still, the same 'innacuracy' can be levelled at Hurricane kits
Allegedly
Still, if anyone's building and wants non-intraweb reference, I'm your man

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice result on the Lightning Chris and a very intriguing back story as well. Looking forward to what you have next in line for a build. :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Okay, is it bad that I can tell the difference between a MC202, a MC205, a 205N, a G.55 and a Re2005 just by looking at them
Only if it’s keeping you awake at night :smiling3: I can do similar with stuff like M60s (the tanks, and maybe the machine guns as well :smiling3: ) and seem to be getting close with Shermans, though must admit I’m in some ways glad I haven’t reached the level some people have this skill at …

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Okay, is it bad that I can tell the difference between a MC202, a MC205, a 205N, a G.55 and a Re2005 just by looking at them, or have I been collecting RA stuff for too long?
Of course, in 1/48 the assymetric wingspan of the Macchis should be more noticeable. Apparently, according to some Italian sources, no 202 kit has quite got the shape right in 1/72. But then, they've got access to the real thing. Still, the same 'innacuracy' can be levelled at Hurricane kits
Allegedly
Still, if anyone's building and wants non-intraweb reference, I'm your man
Not at all chris , just a healthy interest . In 1/72 though the 8” difference in wing lengths is only going to be about 2 mm or so , not massively noticeable ( saying that , one review of the italeri mc205 says they got it right ? I’ll have to get mine out of the box and measure it ! ) I reckon we might have to put forward the idea of a GB sometime - Italian air force ( RA , ACI and ANR ) including any foreign aircraft in Italian markings ( Stuka , bf109 etc.) . Might have to be a while yet though , theres quite a few going on this year already . Cheers tony