Please I need advise!

A

alfa33333

I am new to the modelling thing. I have done some model before with horrible and disastrous results, and I would like an advise about a model to a fresh start. My objective is to build motorbike models and before I can do that in the way I would like to do it with easier versions. It would be more interesting if it is a motorcycle, but what do you recommend?

P

Polux

Dear "......"

Why don't try some little 1/35 motorcycles from the brand Tamiya? Are not civilian, but they are a perfect platform to start (easy to build, and you will learn some paint tips sure).

The bigger ones (1/12) are...in my opinion, quite difficult ;) I'm not an experienced modeler and mine ends on an absolutely disaster :sad:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
any of the cheap tamiya kits....cb750, virago, katana...cant go wrong

A

alfa33333

Do you mean something like this? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DuEpeWi7L._SX300_.jpg or This http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GD25j9SrL._SX300_.jpg

M

MK Academy

Don't worry if they end up in disaster because everyone's beginning was like this...just practice and you will learn...

First Name
Robert
I agree with Pollux start small and build upwards I started a 1/12 ninja last year and getting it right is no easy task brake lines etc and yes it's in a box in a box in my stash waiting to be compleated as I got tired of it and moved on to other things ........ One day heh vroom vroom

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
Dear "......"
Why don't try some little 1/35 motorcycles from the brand Tamiya? Are not civilian, but they are a perfect platform to start (easy to build, and you will learn some paint tips sure).

The bigger ones (1/12) are...in my opinion, quite difficult ;) I'm not an experienced modeler and mine ends on an absolutely disaster :sad:
Well Polux, I disagree with you being not an experienced modeler lol:p:p

J

jono

I restarted modelling with a 1/12 scale Harley-Davidson motorbike I bought on ebay, & then after several more Harleys moved on to other types of models :smiling3: :smiling3:.

John.

B

Bunkerbarge

Firstly a warm welcome to Scale Models, I hope you enjoy your time here and get some useful guidance to your modelling questions.

As regards bikes for a beginner then the most important aspect is a kit that is easy to build so I think Tamiya is one of the safest bets. Their range of 1/12 scale kits is fairly extensive and even out of production ones can still be found on eBay at a reasonable price. I would avoid large or difficult transfers so that puts most of the GP bikes out of it but I also think you need to see your handiwork afterwards so avoid faired in bikes anyway. They have made some very nice Ducati models over the years, the engines always look great when finished, but, as has been said the Virago is a very satisfying model and you can still occassionally see the version with the rider figure so you get a chance at building a figure as well.

If the first one goes well the old Heller 1/6 scale bikes are a great range, with a lot of them using plates of plastic to build up a very realistic looking finned engine. I also like the ESCI military bikes, in particular the Zundapp and the Triumph 3HW. I have built both in the past and really enjoyed them.

Start with a Tamiya 1/12 scale though such as the Virago, Katana or even the old Suzuki 250 Gamma to get you up and running. I did have a lot of bike pictures in my gallery but I don 't know if they have been replaced yet after the move.

J

jono

\ said:
Firstly a warm welcome to Scale Models, I hope you enjoy your time here and get some useful guidance to your modelling questions.
As regards bikes for a beginner then the most important aspect is a kit that is easy to build so I think Tamiya is one of the safest bets. Their range of 1/12 scale kits is fairly extensive and even out of production ones can still be found on eBay at a reasonable price. I would avoid large or difficult transfers so that puts most of the GP bikes out of it but I also think you need to see your handiwork afterwards so avoid faired in bikes anyway. They have made some very nice Ducati models over the years, the engines always look great when finished, but, as has been said the Virago is a very satisfying model and you can still occassionally see the version with the rider figure so you get a chance at building a figure as well.

If the first one goes well the old Heller 1/6 scale bikes are a great range, with a lot of them using plates of plastic to build up a very realistic looking finned engine. I also like the ESCI military bikes, in particular the Zundapp and the Triumph 3HW. I have built both in the past and really enjoyed them.

Start with a Tamiya 1/12 scale though such as the Virago, Katana or even the old Suzuki 250 Gamma to get you up and running. I did have a lot of bike pictures in my gallery but I don 't know if they have been replaced yet after the move.
Hi Rich, I did a few Harleys & put the pictures on the site but just noticed that some of them are missing, which I think must have happened with the change of server..

John.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Why not look at your problem from a different point of view, and work on your general model making skills & experience, even if it's not a motorbike?

Get a cheap 1/72 WW2 fighter, like a Spitfire or Zero; they're fairly simple, that's how most of us started. Just use it as an exercise in learning & trying techniques.

That includes glueing, filling, sanding, painting, decals, etc, etc. - and patience! No need to buy the camouflage paints, just use those you have for bikes - black, red, silver? it will look a bit silly, but you will learn

Go to your library and see if they have a suitable book. Even if it is for ships or planes the techniques will be more or less the same. Or buy a suitable book - Surf the Net

Browse round your newsagents, there are several magazines available. I don't know if there is one specifically on motorbikes, but one on general modelling, ie all subjects, will show you techniques & ideas - dry fitting, trimming, filling, sanding, are pretty much the same whatever you make. Now & again magazines have a series of beginner's articles

If you buy it regularly, you will start to see how the techniques are used, get used to the jargon, and see how other people have done things

Click on the green banner at the head of this page, for the Scale Model Shop - Scale Model Shop. that will show you many of the tools, paints, and accessories available. There are other model shops; Surf, or look at the adverts in model mags.

I've just been on YouTube and put 'basic plastic model making' into the search box, and got about 7 or 8 pages of videos

Again, I've put 'plastic model motorbikes' into YouTube's search box and got 6 or 7 pages of videos

Last edited by a moderator:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've built a few of the Tamiya 1/12 bikes ....... As Polux says they can be quite complicated. But are well detailed, I wouldn't reccomend them to start with and they tend to be a little pricey ....... as a first kit, why not try one of the Revell 1/24 car kits..... I have a couple in my stash and they don't look to be over complicated, they build into a nice kit and are relatively inexpensive..........