Pledge Polish

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’m sure many on here will have used Pledge polish as a clear coat in its various incarnations. Some time ago it changed from its clear form to the milky coloured fragrant smelling version. The other night I was watching a video from Flory models where he was showing its latest version back as a clear liquid. The only problem currently is that it’s only available in the US, I did a quick check on line to see how cheap I could have some shipped and the postal costs were eye watering.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Plenty on the net about the various incarnations Mick, but basically it is a cheap hard wearing acrylic gloss varnish. I bought a bottle many years ago and am no more than a quarter of the way through it. I wouldn’t buy it again, I’d just use a decent quality gloss instead. It’s not as if we go through bottles of it.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good timing. I’m off to the US later this month and was going to bring some more back, my last bottle has lasted three years but needs replenishing.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Mick,
Where abouts was the Flory models video..... in the Tutorials,Vlogs or Tips sections of His site? I fancy taking a look,but can't seem to find it :thinking:.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Plenty on the net about the various incarnations Mick, but basically it is a cheap hard wearing acrylic gloss varnish. I bought a bottle many years ago and am no more than a quarter of the way through it. I wouldn’t buy it again, I’d just use a decent quality gloss instead. It’s not as if we go through bottles of it.
Very true and apparently the scented cloudy version eventually yellows? I need to find something else

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very true and apparently the scented cloudy version eventually yellows? I need to find something else
Mick , this stuff ( Holloway house quick shine ) is supposed to be identical to the original Klear . Once my Klear runs out ( still got 2 bottles left so probably about 25 years!) I would be getting some of this .IMG_3870.png

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've got a very old bottle of that Quick Shine - I found it takes ages to dry hard. Might be something I did wrong.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Galeria Matt is the most reliable brush matt varnish I own. All my little blokes are finished with it. It‘s very like Humbrol Matt Cote, but far cheaper per unit volume. Not sure what it needs thinning with to spray though, so I only use it with a brush.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It sprays straight from the bottle Tim. It can be thinned with water though.
Pete
Starting to wonder if I’m thinking of something else now Pete. Mine has to be washed out of the brushes with white spirit? It definitely has a mineral solvent smell to it.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
View attachment 505919

These are the ones I have. Definitely water based, so maybe you are thinking of something else Tim.

Andy

How do you find it? Is is reasonably matt? Have you tried it through an AB? The Vallejo Resin varnish I use is nearly three times the price per ml?

Thanks.

Andrew

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have to admit I haven't used it for a long while Andrew. The bottle is nearly empty and I discovered AK matt varnish which I really like for both brush & airbrush.

I seem to remember it was quite matt though, and went through the airbrush okay with a little water to thin it. If you bumped up the pressure with a larger needle I'm sure it would spray neat.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have to admit I haven't used it for a long while Andrew. The bottle is nearly empty and I discovered AK matt varnish which I really like for both brush & airbrush.

I seem to remember it was quite matt though, and went through the airbrush okay with a little water to thin it. If you bumped up the pressure with a larger needle I'm sure it would spray neat.

Thanks Andy!