Polishing compounds

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello guys,

Cockpit canopies seem to be my nemesis.

I have tried dipping them in clear and also tried polishing them with various grades of sanding stick, buffers etc but can’t get them how I would like.

I was wondering about trying polishing compounds such as those made by Tamiya but before I shell out any cash was wondering if anyone uses them and if they are recommended .

Thanks,

Geoff.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good question Geoff.
I'd like to know that also. :smiling4:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use them. I went off Klear years ago when I ruined a canopy with it. They are excellent. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but when you work through the grades from coarse to fine the finish literally looks like glass. I also use them as a finishing technique for gloss paint and varnish on car bodies and to polish black plastic kit parts so they look like black vinyl on motorcycle seats.

A couple of things to remember are to completely remove the previous grade of compound before moving to the next, and to use a different fine weave cloth for polishing each grade and don’t mix them up. If you get traces of coarser compound in the finer when you are polishing it will never give you the finish you are after. The effect will be just like getting traces of sand in a car wax.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I endorse everything Tim says especially his advice to keep the grades totally separate. I use a Q-tip cotton bud to polish interiors of canopies and the like. You do need patience and be gentle.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Sounds good to me, I think I will order some to try.

Thanks for the advice guys :thumb2:

Geoff.