Post shading using airbrush

J

JFJ

Hi everyone,

does anybody know of a way to post shade properly? Sometimes I try hard but the lines end up crooked. I know some guys tweak the pressure the the lowest and spray real close to the model but is there another way?

Cheers,

Adrian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Adrian,I mainly post-shade with lighter shades by lightening the panel centres or just applying streaking and mottling to break up the base colour. I will sometimes apply post-shading to a control surface hinge for example or maybe some streaking as part of the weathering. It's also how I build up exhaust stains using several colours.

The trick is not to try and do it in one go. You need to thin your paint a bit more than usual which will enable you to reduce your spraying pressure. This in turn will allow you to spray closer to the model. Apply the paint to the line with a fairly rapid pass,this will help to prevent wobbles! It will may take a few passes to build the paint up to the level that you want it.

Don't try this directly on your model!!!! Have a little practice on some scrap or an old milk container to work out your paint thinning and pressure ratios first.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
One of the dvd's I have showed using primer for shading, it's not something I every thought of as I've only ever used grey to prime, but the guy on the dvd used black and white as the undercoats and the results were great

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I just sat and watched the same dvd John, good init! I must confess I found it to be a novel way of doing it and might try it one day.

As for the original question I am with Steve. Thin paint low pressure and lots of passes ot build the colour. That way if you do 'miss' or go to far it will hardly be noticable.

M

m1ks

As above, similar principle to dry brushing, the first one or two passes should be virtually unnoticeable.

What I do, like Steve, is leave a dribble of paint in the cup, add a couple of srops of white to lighten, add about the same quantity of thinner again as the total paint quantity so it's quite watery and spray at about 8PSI close to the panel, build up gradually, have a play and you'll be surprised how quick and effective this is.