Pre-shading Metallics

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi has anyone got some advice on how to pre-shade panel lines when using metallic paints?. I have given it a go using black but all that happens is that as soon as you spray over the black it disappears. Will I have to just rely on post shading using a wash?

Vaughan

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Only way you can do it is post-shading. Add a drop of black enamel/acrylic to the metallic paint to make it a shade darker then go over the panel lines afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What paints are you using Vaughan?

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I experimented pre-shading Alclad and it didn't produce the desired effect. I was very dependent on the angle of viewing,varying form completely invisible to a patchwork quilt. I use different shades or tint as per Allyne's advice above.

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
If you use buffable metallics, once the paint has cured polish the surface you will get a 'pre-shading' effect as the paint in the grooves and dips will not be buffed up.

the Gunze buffables a great for this.

C

Caledonia

I pre-shaded my EE Lightning using Tamiya paint, see postings #55, #56 and #64 on the link below.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/11101-e-e-lightning-f6-1-48-airfix-6.html

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
If you use buffable metallics, once the paint has cured polish the surface you will get a 'pre-shading' effect as the paint in the grooves and dips will not be buffed up.the Gunze buffables a great for this.
Barry are Gunze buffables paints easy to airbrush and would they require thinning?

vaughan

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Vaughan.

I have sprayed using a 0.4 needle without thinning without problems. The Dark Iron (great for engines) and Stainless to be specific.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guy for the info. Will have to have a think on this one and decide which way to go.

Vaughan