Priming a modelbefore airbrushing

N

Nistrum

hey guys this is nice an simple. do you prime with a spray undercoat before airbrushing? or is it totally not needed?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Some do some don't, I don't.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I prime for acrylic paints but don't bother for enamels.

Steve

N

Nistrum

ahh you raised a good point there. i was planning on using revell aqua acrylics. but what are the pros and ons of acrylics vs enamels? if there is another thread covering it just say so (im guessing there is).

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Nistrum.

Talk about a can of worms! EVERY modeller you'll ever talk to has an opinion on the acrylic/enamel question. You'll find certainly hundreds and possibly thousands of comments both here and on other modelling sites discussing this.

I'm happy with my Revell Aqua paints - although I am going to get alternatives for their metallics. But there are guys out there who wouldn't use acrylics to save their lives. Only thing I can say is try what you've suggested. If you're not happy experiment with alternative acrylics. If you're still not happy give enamels a go. You may find you'll use both for different applications.

Mind you, my prejudices are showing here. I'm only suggesting you try acrylics first 'cos they're what I use - and I prefer them because they're easier to clean up!

The more you look into how models are painted, the more opinions you'll find. It starts with prime/not prime as you've already asked. Then it goes to brush/spray, then acrylic/enamel. Then it moves on to weathering. Oils/water based/pastels, brush/spray etc. etc. I've seen truly awesome paint jobs done using all the different methods. I guess it's down to what works for you.

Gern

N

Nistrum

hahaha. uh oh. yeh i used to work for GW so im used to the citadel range and i painted many an army using their colours, but then they dont translate too well to things like the RLM colours for my luftwaffe planes.

the revell paints however do, and also seem slightly thicks.. so i water them down a little more. I'm happy with the revell paints so far, just wanted to check there wasnt a really obvious reason to use enamels over the aquas. ill go with priming the plane then. since i know it gives me better results with the kinds of paints that i use. :D

M

m1ks

I'm fairly new back into this and of a few models i've built so far the last couple i've used Humbrol matte white (33) as a primer / base coat, I use enamels but have just started using Tamiya acrylics too and found that I seem to get better coverage regardless of the paint form the airbrush onto a primed base, the main thing however is that a base coat shows up flaws far more easily than the original relatively shiny plastic so typically i'd glue, fill where I think necessary, prime then fil and sand again if the primer shows me bits i've missed. I know you cna get specific primers and some use cellulose (lacquer) based but i'm wary as these eat into and bond with the plastic, over-enthusiastic use could ruin a panel or model (but not having tried it maybe i'm being paranoid?)

Oop's that should of course read Humbrol number 34, 33 being the extra dark matte white which tends to be used for tyres and suchlike. Ahem

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good point about primers showing up flaws. When I used enamels (and didn't prime) I used a silver marker on seams for that purpose. It was easily removed with alcohol.

I prime for acrylics because I have found that the paints adhere better to the primer than to the plastic. I want the primer to form a good bond with the plastic. The one I use (Halfords plastic primer) certainly does that as I have found when trying to remove it!

BTW 33 is matt black isn't it? Lol.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Hi there mate i prime all my kits regardless of the paint used as stona says it allow the paint to adhere better.

scott

N

Nistrum

awesome. thanks foir the wide spectrum of replies :smiling3: im gonna undercoat using GWWhite... wish me luck :P