Problems with Mig Washable White

A

Arthur48

bought some of this to make camouflage patterns over a Tiger in German grey, after watching a couple of videos of it in use.

The instructions said allow 24 hours to dry. I thought this unusual for a washable finish, but left the tank for a day. Then I hadn't the time to get back to it until two days had elapsed.

The problem was that however much I saturated and brushed it, it didn't want to come off. Some did and there were slight signs of it dissolving, but most required considerable pressure from the brush. In effect I was practically scraping it off.

It occured to me that I might have made two mistakes:

1. I put it on neat when I should have mixed it with water. Nothing in the instructions about this.

2. I left it for much longer than I should have done, and it had cured hard.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I was able to salvage the tank and get it looking OK, but not the way I originally wanted it to look with long rain produced streaks.

D

dubster72

I think you left it on way too long! I don't use acrylics etc, but all the stuff I've read about this talks about leaving it until dry - so an hour maybe?

Still, its a good excuse to do another winter whitewash! ;)

A

Arthur48

Thanks for the reply.

Why can't they be bothered to give clear instructions?

L

Laurie

Arthur try this little video by Mig using washable white.

The instructions I have seen says start work on it as soon as it is dry. That is touch dry not cured. Leave 24 hours and it is virtually like all acrylics fixed for good. even at touch dry you have to be quick.

Mig does a number of tuition things. Like all things such as this there is no correct way it is a matter of experimenting to find what is best and the alternatives to provide what each wants.

Laurie

W

Weeman0000

Yeah from my limited experience id say you left it way to long. I use a lot of MiG washes for rust and general dirty marks and what have ya. I generally work for about 5-10mins, go for a smoke and a coffee then come back to it about 30minz later to work it. Obv you could leave it for an hour if you put a lot on. However i have seen me being able to work it just as well 12+h later but two days was too long.

Iv never had to dilute a wash, if i want a thinner coat i just use more turps while i work it, get a nice swimming pool going hahaha. It also adds to the final blend if you thin while you work as apposed to thinning beforehand i should imagine, after all when you work the wash it will thin it so unless you want a really thin coat i wouldn't bother pre-thinning.