Pyrogravure; or can I use a soldering iron?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've been trying to buy a pyrogravure for working on plastic figures but they are not sold nowadays- due to elf'n'safety, I assume, and the risk of litigation. You can get pyrography kits but they are 60 watts, and that just seems too powerful. A soldering iron with an adjustable thermostat would seem to be ideal but they are quite expensive.
So does anyone know if I can use a soldering iron, and if so, what wattage do I need? I assume low, but not being an electickery type I wouldn't know. I presume also I would have to make my own needle type tips, but I can manage that. It's just the ideal temperature I need to know really.
thanks in advance
Neil

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Neil,
I have a pyrogravure purchased from L&M products, the people that supplied Historex originally with theirs (although I think Historex then modified them from what L&M told me).

When I got it it was not hot enough so I complained and sent it back - they modified it to 130 degC

There may still be a German company making them - Rey Ro or something like that. I found them when looking for L&M

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Amazon has a lot of pyrography stuff
thanks Gary
I have looked at those and they all seem to be very high powered, and certainly they have no fine tips like I would need for 54mm historex figures.
I don't mind spending money on the right thing, but I don't want to waste it on something that I can't adapt.
cheers
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil,
I have a pyrogravure purchased from L&M products, the people that supplied Historex originally with theirs (although I think Historex then modified them from what L&M told me).

When I got it it was not hot enough so I complained and sent it back - they modified it to 130 degC

There may still be a German company making them - Rey Ro or something like that. I found them when looking for L&M
Thanks Simon, I've just had a quick search with no joy.
I presume you use yours on tanks rather than historex figures? I imagine the tank plastic is harder- historex is very soft.
I guess I'll just play with my soldering iron for starters and see how I get on
Cheers
Neil

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have used it on all kinds of things, not just tanks (although it is good for zimming 1/72) and with all sorts of densities - you just have to be careful on softer stuff

Also used it on resin

I found the German device - company is Rai-Ro, so I was close!

It is quite pricey but has temperature control from 0-220degC so can be used for pretty much anything you can think of, including toasting marshmallows and other small foodstuffs I shouldn't wonder with that range

Rai-Ro

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That's brilliant Simon, thank you.
Now I have to decide whether to put my money where my mouth is..... especially as what I want is the expensive extra pencil thingy
Hmmmmm

• Haha
Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Heehee - unfortunately like all quality tools quality costs

Go on, you know you want to......

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All this talk of heat !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
D

Deleted member 6559

When I was a young modeller, back in the mists of time, we uses to used a needle mounted on a paint brush handle, heated over a candle flame. OK, you had to keep stopping to heat it up, but it worked. Cost virtually nothing too.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
When I was a young modeller, back in the mists of time, we uses to used a needle mounted on a paint brush handle, heated over a candle flame. OK, you had to keep stopping to heat it up, but it worked. Cost virtually nothing too.
I've been thinking along those lines too,Mr Day! :anguished:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Nice one Pete - 400degC too hot, why not get one that does 1000degC instead :tears-of-joy:

Just kidding - can't argue with the price but don't see how you would mod the tips shown into a needle point.

Looks like the tips fit across +ve and -ve sides and at a guess are made to have a certain resistance so that the current flow does not get too large and just melt them

Also got to wonder what sort of safety regulations, if any, it is made to coming from China ie what is the chance they have been properly tested to UK regs?