Question to tank experts

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
was there any significant or big differences in the tiger 1 that served in Tunisia 43 and the mid version that served on the Easton front from 43 ?

Also was the colour the then standard dark yellow or did it have the early grey that the Germans used until the change

Any help is greatly appreciated:smiling3:

D

dubster72

The most obvious visual difference would be the Feifel air cleaners on the engine deck Alan. These were not present on mid production Tigers ... although I bet there's evidence to the contrary!

I'd expect the Tunisian Tigers to be DAK sand yellow over German grey.

N

noble

OCTOBER 1942 colour dark yellow became the new colour for german equipment RAL 7028, in Tamiya that is XF60.

FEB 1941 The main colour for german equipment was RAL7021 colour known as german grey in Tamiya that is XF63.

MARCH 1941 desert color was RAL 8000 yellow brown in Vallejo that's 879

and RAL 7008 again in Vallejo that's 866

MARCH 1942 desert colour changed to RAL 8020 Vallejo that is 847 and Tamiya xf57 and RAL 7027 again for Vallejo that is 819 and Tamiya xf 72

I hope this sorts your colour question out I will get back to you with differences between the early and mid tiger.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys I appreciate it :smiling3:

Oh well I can't do the early version never mind I'll have to learn how to put zimmerit on with millput, I can see this costing a bit :D

N

noble

Tunisian tiger 131 is in Bovington museum pics are available to view. zimmeritt did not come into play until the late versions I think. your main differences between early and mid tiger 1s are different cupola, no smoke or grenade launchers different air filters, turret size and shape of turret box, placement of tools, addition of zimmeritt and the addition of steel wheels.

scott

N

noble

Alan I use squadron white or green putty for my zim, its cheaper than milliput and easier to work with in my view.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I don't recall Tunisian Tigers having zimmerit?
No they didn't Patrick I was saying I can't do the early tiger as I have no feifel air cleaner so I have to do the eastern front or Normandy one :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan I use squadron white or green putty for my zim, its cheaper than milliput and easier to work with in my view.
scott
Cheers Scott I'll check it out :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Tunisian tiger 131 is in Bovington museum pics are available to view. zimmeritt did not come into play until the late versions I think. your main differences between early and mid tiger 1s are different cupola, no smoke or grenade launchers different air filters, turret size and shape of turret box, placement of tools, addition of zimmeritt and the addition of steel wheels.
scott
That's strange I have the markings for 131 but it's for Normandy July 44 , I suppose it could have been taken back after the collapse of the afrika korps in 43

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alan

I think you're under the impression there was only one Tiger numbered 131. All that number means is that the tank is the 1st tank of the second Zug (troop) of the 1st company. tiger 131 could come from any Tiger battalion.

Just to make things clear - the first number is the company, second - Zug (or troop), third individual tank. Different units applied these numbers in a number of different ways but the meaning of these numbers remains a constant.

Hope this helps.

BTW, you really are better off going with a later machine as back dating the kit you have will mean quite a bit of work (although differences between all the Tiger 1 is not that difficult - I updated the early Tamiya 1/16 version to the late steel wheeled variant and I didn't think it was all that difficult).

Cheers

P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Yes I understand that it was more a wonder if it was the same tank Paul :smiling3:

I only wanted to know about the differences and see if they were big or things that could be overlooked but it can't so I'll go with a Europe setting Holland or Belgium maybe :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Definitely not the same tank. Tunisian 131 was hit between the turret and the hull roof, jamming the turret, the crew panicked and fled. The tank was subsequently captured, featured In news reels with Churchill and the King crawling all over it and sent back to England for evaluation. And this is why we're lucky enough, some 70 years later, to have a running Tiger 1 at Bovington.

If you mean, 'was the Tunisian Tiger a mid prod variant?' - again no. This really was an early Tiger with drum cupola, Fiefel air cleaners etc, etc

I realise now that this question has been more than fully covered already. Essentially any date after August '43 is cool for a mid production Tiger 1. So pretty much any major action a month or so after Kursk.

Cheers

P