R/C Scale Model Boats

B

Bunkerbarge

Next up is one of my favourite models. I bought it from a self confessed first time modeller who had made a reasonable job of putting it together but had made some very basic stability mistakes. She started off looking like this:

View attachment 86452

View attachment 86453

My own mistake was not to try it out in the bath and, to cut a long story short she ended up sinking!! As luck would have it I managed to find it with a grappling hook and retrieved the model with one or two parts missing. The mising parts were replaced with a combination of scratch building, upgraded aftermarket resin bits and some original bits. I decided as this particular tug spent some time in the service of the navy that I would build her as she would ahve looked at the time. The first step was to complete repairs, re-rig the model and repaint her in grey. I deliberately brush painted to give suitable texture and to allow some of the undercolours to show thorough:

View attachment 86454

View attachment 86455

The next job was to add some weathering which basically entailed a mixture of dark brown and black washes and rust streaks strategically placed at suitable areas on the hull. A smoke stain was also applied:

View attachment 86456

View attachment 86457

Next I added a lot of detail to the aft deck such as coiled up wire ropes, coiled up hemp ropes, oil drums and packing cases etc. This was all added to the engine casing so it all lifted off as one piece. I aslo fitted and rigged the port side lifeboat. The starboard one wasn't in stock so I had to wait for a while for it

View attachment 86458

Just a comparrison one day with another example of the original colour scheme:

View attachment 86459

Finally the starboard boat arrived and was duly weathered, fitted and rigged and a couple of period scale navy officers were added to the flying bridge to give it a bit of life.

View attachment 86460

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Great stroke of luck recovering that sunken Tug Richard! The rework on it looks awesome!

P

Polux

Wow! This boat has his "history"... :D

I like the new look Richard, looks a great work.

Cheers

Polux

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks gents.

The reason for her sinking in the first place was

A) Too much ballast making her too low in the water

B) No freeing ports on the main deck trapping any water there.

C) Far too low coatings around the deck openings meaning that any water on deck would spill inside the model.

D) A much too powerful motor which pushed the bow down under load.

Finally I was chatting to a young lad and wasn't paying attention. One minute the bow looked unusually low, the next the stern was sticking up in the air!!

I was't going to bother trying to recover it but the club persuaded me to get the club dinghy out and go fishing. I was amazed that I did recover it with only a few bits missing such as one boat with davit's, the stern grating and a few other small pieces. Amazingly when I pulled it out of the water the motor was still turning! That motor is still in it now and still working perfectly! I lost a brand new speed controller and a new battery but it could have been a lot worse.

As for the refurbishment I have seen plenty of examples of this model around as it is very popular but I have never seen another in navy guise. I am regularly asked what it is and when I tell them it is a Caldercraft Joffre they are usually surprised. Physically there is no change, it is simply a paint job. The new lifeboats are by Quaycraft and are beautiful resin after market items which you can buy for a lot of model ship applications and are invariably better than the supplied ones.

The only bits left to do are some fore and aft fenders, maybe another couple of civilian figures on deck and maybe a bit more gentle weathering but, as always with these things it is best to leave it to see how you feel about it as it is so easy to do too much.

B

Bunkerbarge

Another 1/48th scale naval vessel is this old Sirmar kit of a Minesweeper. This one is going to get a good dose of weathering one day as well as some deck detail and clutter and a few naval figures around the decks, but in the meantime it looks good with the naval tugs I have in the same scale. It was built by a chap called Paul Simpson who was running Sirmar at the time but has since sold the business on.

View attachment 86849

View attachment 86848

View attachment 86847

18-04-10-13MMMinesweeperJoffre4.jpg

18-04-10-03MMMinesweeper3.jpg

18-04-10-11MMMinesweeper7.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Yet another naval tug, this time a WW1 example. The kit is again in 1/48th scale and is of the tug Resolve. This was actually a big deep sea steam tug. The model was originally built to have a steam plant in it but the builder decided to make it an electric model. I bought the model and the steam plant but I'm not going to fit it as it would be far too difficult to fit the steam plant after the model has been finished. I have since stripped the insides and will one day get to refitting it internally as well as the usual weathering and detailing outside.

View attachment 86850

View attachment 86851

View attachment 86852

15-03-09-19WiltonParkEnigmaResolve3.jpg

15-02-09-17WiltonParkResolveEnigma9.jpg

15-02-09-24WiltonParkResolveEnigma15.jpg

T

treyzx10r

I like the look of the twin stacks on that Tug,intresting subject Richard. At 1/48 scale it must be fairly good sized?

B

Bunkerbarge

Both the two tugs above are a good size, and a good weight!!