Ravell 1/72 Dambusters Lancashire Bomber

S

Stevekir

Having started modelling in the New Year after 30 years, I have assembled an Airfix 1/72 and a 1/48 Spitfire ready for painting, but stopped there to practice airbrushing, especially of varnish. So I got on with my Revell 1/72 Lancaster I/IIIB (Dambusters) (Ravell number 04295) given as a Christmas present. It is a well-known kit so I have just put in the more interesting bits here.

BUILD REPORT

The parts went together very well (with one exception), sanding and filling concentrating on the tight-fitting fuselage seams (which I like to make invisible as they are such a give-away of a model). The exception was a major error by Revell on the shape of the underside just aft of the wings (see photos). Negligible flash. As a photo mentions, the engines and their supporting framework were too big to fit in the nacelles so I had to ditch the framework. Part 43 (the black base of a turret) was not on the sprue and a similar part was but it was too high, requiring sanding. The undercarriage is quite detailed but not as good as that in the Hasegawa Lanc (kit E23, same plane but with dorsal and ventral turrets, it not being a Dambusters special. It was reviewed in the November 2005 issue of Model Airplane International.)

I don't like black plastic. It makes it difficult to see detail in any shadow areas. I think the usual mid-grey is better. When I started masking I thought I would be in an old folks home before I had finished — there are 98 masks on this model. Thank goodness for Eduard masks which were a huge help and went on quite quickly and easily, being very accurate. Also, my headband magnifier helped greatly.

Here are the pics:

View attachment 62286 View attachment 62287 View attachment 62288 View attachment 62289 View attachment 62290 View attachment 62291 View attachment 62292 View attachment 62293 View attachment 62294 View attachment 62297 View attachment 62295 View attachment 62296 More to come in time.

View attachment 63744

View attachment 63745

View attachment 63746

View attachment 63747

View attachment 63748

View attachment 63749

View attachment 63750

View attachment 63751

View attachment 63752

View attachment 63753

View attachment 63754

View attachment 63755

01 Cockpit, rear 3 quarter copy.jpg

02 Forward Starboard Interior copy.jpg

03Underpanel Fault (berfore) copy.jpg

04 Underpanel Fault (after) copy.jpg

05 One of the inboard engines in its mounting copy.jpg

06 turrett-01 copy.jpg

07 TURRET-02 copy.jpg

08 TURRETt-03 copy.jpg

09 Canopies copy.jpg

11 Undercarriage copy.jpg

12 Wing copy.jpg

10 Cockpit etc. Masking copy.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A lot of time and effort as gone into this build I can see but you have achieved a fantastic result and I look forward to the finished result of all your hard work happy airbrushing

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Steve. You have really given it a lot of attention Sir. Very good result on the fix for that "error" Revell made.

I look forward to seeing the next instalment.

I'm still waiting for a good Lancaster in 1/48 scale. Jo there's the Tamiya one, but that's almost as old as the real thing! Who knows by the time I'm brave enough to attack one, there may well be a new tool being made. LOL

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looks very good Steve. I think May 17th is the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters raid.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Very very impressive Steve ............ I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.

Peter

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good Steve, crack on with the great work sir.

tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good work Steve, and nice correction on the kit's turrets.

I

ian lanc

Never been a fan of the new Revell kit but its nice to see someone having a bash at building one,

I built one a while back and just about altered every mistake Revell did to this kit! My kit was the

standard MKI/III kit though but the same mistakes are all over the Dambuster 'Lanc' too.

I suggest altering the tail wheel to resemble the twin shimmy wheel and throwing away the main wheels! Replacing them with resin ones.

This wheel would look OK on NX611 or PA474 but not on a 'wartime' Lanc'

We all know about the tail wheel is wrong but the quickest way to put it right is to put the built wheel on the end of your Dremel

and gently make a new groove in the centre of the tyre and also with the aid of a sharp knife cut into the side to make a rim.

Revells wheels are also incorrect as they are too wide,too big,wrong hub, so the best thing to do is chuck them away and buy some resin aftermarket wheels as in the picture.

Keep up the good work.