Re-entering the wonderful world of modelling (and frustration!).

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi there everybody,

I am returning to this hobby after 23 years away and am literally starting from scratch.

Quick background, just retired from a major motoring assistance company where I was an examining engineer. Prior to that had my own company in South Africa which completed mechanical, body and paint repairs and restorations.

Unfortunately 23 years ago I suffered an eye injury which has left me with 20% vision in the left and difficulty in depth perception so, in a fit of anger and stupidity I sold all my kits, tools etc.

I am building up tools and stuff, SWMBO is horrified that £350.00 later there is another similar amount to spend on airbrush, compressor, spray booth, primer and paints!

My interest is cars mainly in 1/20 and 1/24 scales with the occasional 1/12 thrown into the mix with maybe space related models for a change. My aim is to reproduce the cars I have owned, driven and/or restored (over 160 different ones from 1947 MG TC to 1994 Lamborghini Diablo) over the last 45 years but I appreciate that many will not be produced by kit manufacturers.

First project is my first car in RSA, a Datsun 1600 SSS so just got the Hasegawa 1/24 kit to try and reproduce it complete with racing stripes.

I am based in Hemel Hempstead and look forward to perusing the various sections to gain more knowledge etc. and ask for loads of advice.

Regards to all.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Welcome to the site Stefan,
I'm sure you'll get all of the encouragement, support and advice that you ask for :smiling3:
Not my area of choice,but I do appreciate all forms of models,so look forward to seeing you get back into the hobby ;)

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Morning, Stefan, welcome to the forum - you'll find a few petrolheads amongst the members, and I've occasionally thrown together a few 1/24 cars.................
After 23 years, the change in materials, paints, techniques etc. can be a bit baffling (!!!), so any questions, fire away! You might get different answers, but you will get an answer!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Stefan ,
Welcome to a great forum, something for every one here. Advice and help by the bucket load.
As you can see from my avatar I have limited sight in left eye following a detachment. Depth of field used to be a real problem , but I've found ways around that with use and mistakes !

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi Stefan ,
Welcome to a great forum, something for every one here. Advice and help by the bucket load.
As you can see from my avatar I have limited sight in left eye following a detachment. Depth of field used to be a real problem , but I've found ways around that with use and mistakes !
Hi John,

I had 42 stitches in my eye for a penetrative glass injury but have adapted and depth perception has improved. Glad to see, pun intended, that you are making models with a worse condition than mine. I hope that my models will be worthy of showing to the assembled, again pun intended, community.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
welcome to the forum stefan , look forward to seeing some of your cars , cheers tony

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Greetings Stefan, this forum may prove to be a wheely good choice methinks!
Steve