"Real" colours for Hurri Mk1 (BOB)?

T

T. van Vuuren

If I study the pix of above, they seem to have a very slight satin sheen to it, the Spit in particular on the rear fuse. I recon a total matt plane would look a bit "wrong"

Maybe a 50/50 mix of matt and satin will do.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well you can go from a recently cleaned and probably a bit damp (judging by the weather) look like this

To a more flat and in this case literally second hand look like this

The paint itself was matt.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

It seems the maintenance standards of the RAF were slightly higher than their Russian counterparts!

Or did you lads give them the old washed up planes then and keep all the new ones for yourself hey? LOL

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think it is too big a generalisation to say that RAF aircraft were well cared for. You may see worn or well used aircraft but very rarely a dirty one. Even photographs taken in what must have been difficult theatres in which to maintain the air frames support this.

Cheers

Steve.

E

Edgar Brooks

In August, 1942, Supermarine found a synthetic paint, which could give the required smoothness, with a matt finish.

As well as the new paint, it was agreed that the entire front 25% of the wing would have its rivet "divots" filled, together with all of its panel lines, smoothed down, then primed and painted.

Around 1941, a new trade, the Aircraft Finisher, was introduced, whose duty was to look after the paint surface. One no-no was the use of wax polish (not that some pilots took any notice,) since it made any touching-up, or repainting, extremely difficult.

The standard treatment for the paint was a rub-down with wet sandpaper, then a wash-down with clean water; any "expert," who says that they were in a glossy finish, needs a quick course in history. Once the authorities had found that the paint worked, Hawker and Bristol soon followed suit.

Russia got brand-new IXs, which had become surplus to requirements, due to the ready availability of the VIII, XIV & XVI; the fact that they didn't look after them should come as no surprise, since, when Rolls-Royce went to check up on how their engines were behaving, they found that they'd been tipped out, into the mud, and the Russians were living in the wooden crates.

Edgar

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Edgar, have you got any pictures of the boxes/huts.

Sounds like a potential dio here - LOL

Tony.

T

T. van Vuuren

I sprayed on a coat of HU 29 this morning and the paint must have been old as it dried in a specled tone and texture.

SO for the second time now I had to paintstrip it all off , sand smooth and re-scribing will be my "fun" passtime this weekend!

Theuns

S

Scuff

Another reference photo. I took this a few years back at Dunsfold. Technically not brilliant, but useful for reference.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx, it does actually help to see the correct placement of the dope paches over the guns.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Allright that's it! I have put the bloddy Huricane model away for now. After re-scribing for the 3 rd time and being unsuccessfull I have re-boxed the thing till I can figure out a way of making it work. Maybe by painting ans sanding it till the lines are gone it will work, then I can after painting just draw the lines on with a pencil.

This exersize has now TOTALLY cured me from any major re-scribing till I get a better way of doing so.

Hopefully the Airfix BF 110 will go better!

Theuns