Red Baron Fokker Triplane-Issue 64-Elevators

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
73510380.jpg

Measure the centre of the rod and align this with the built up tailplane,clamp this to the trailing edge of the tailplane as shown,the semi circular end ribs assist the line up operation,whatever you do,do not build the elevators as they show in the magazine unless you want a lot of built in errors and problems ! :poster_oo

Issue 64-Assembling one half of the elevator.

Parts included in issue 64 include a shaped trailing edge and single leading edge rod,the way that the parts are assembled in the instructions is asking for problems as there is no guarantee that they will fit the tailplane properly and above all have the correct spacing at the tips of the tailplane,after a bit of thought I devised the following system which utilises the existing tailplane from which the elevators can be built around,also the pre-shaped portion needs a little bending to make it fit properly and if these instructions are followed carefully no problem should arise-

737839d0.jpg

Slip the end rib into place to test fit the item,remove and bevel the rib with a rat-tail file where it accepts the shaped trailing edge piece.

73942870.jpg

Next slip a piece of card over the rod,adding another piece of card at the front and clamp in place the end rib,this ensures that there is a proper gap between the elevator and the tailplane,apply thin cyno to the joint of the mazak rib.

74960a60.jpg

Next offer up the trailing edge and mark with a permanent marker where the first rib joins the front of the bend,at this stage you will need to adjust the bend to meet the front of the rib itself as it is not accurate as supplied and requires adjusting.

74168df0.jpg

7431d8c0.jpg

Next add the capping brackets,these can be filed up later as they are far too bulky.

74524790.jpg

Next add the remaining ribs after first marking the dimensions given in the instructions.

7475add0.jpg

Finally add coldweld fillets to lock everything firmly into place,there is no way that I am going to let this heavy assembly just fall apart after all of this extra work ! everything will be finally sprayed white to replicate the anti-dope white of the full size machine.

When we get the other parts do the same for the other side.

When throughly cured the fillets can be cleaned up and thinned out with a Dremel tool before the painting operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bluewavestudios

Nice model Barry,

There's clearly a lot of work going into that, rather you than me, but I am sure the end result will be well worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards..........Mark. :poster_ke

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice model Barry,There's clearly a lot of work going into that, rather you than me, but I am sure the end result will be well worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards..........Mark. :poster_ke
*** Mark,I have managed to keep the build going despite the problems that have been associated with this model,but it is a challenge to sort out the tricky bits,basically it is a revamp of the Hasagawa example of which only 500 were made worldwide,not many kits for a super detailed kit like this and hardly worth the effort putting it into production,anyway the story goes that Hachette realised its potential as a part works museum type model and engineered this one,I am trying to get them to do the Sopwith Camel that was also in the same series and the directors are looking into it,would make a good stablemate for sure.

Will try and find a picture of the Bristol Fighter that was built I once scratch built as a super detailed model many years ago.

Will continue details of the Fokker Dr.1 here as it progresses.

Thanks for the interest in her.

B

Bluewavestudios

It would be nice if they did do the Camel to go with it, Like you said I am sure the directors have realised that this is a potential money spinner for them and for what clearly looks to be an excellent model, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile investment too.

I can see the potential as a museum exhibit too with that level of detail....Museums usually rely on donors or specially commissioned works for this kind of stuff.

mmm will have to bring myself round to building that Ekranoplan (Orljonok A90)......It is 9 & 1/2 ft long but at least I have a big enough car now !!!

Regards.........Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It would be nice if they did do the Camel to go with it, Like you said I am sure the directors have realised that this is a potential money spinner for them and for what clearly looks to be an excellent model, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile investment too.I can see the potential as a museum exhibit too with that level of detail....Museums usually rely on donors or specially commissioned works for this kind of stuff.

mmm will have to bring myself round to building that Ekranoplan (Orljonok A90)......It is 9 & 1/2 ft long but at least I have a big enough car now !!!

Regards.........Mark
*** It will be on display eventually in the Midland Air Museum,a model like this really belongs in a museum anyway.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
How many people on this forum are building this model?
*** Probably none to my knowledge,however it has created a lot of interest outside of Scale-models from other builders around the world via this forum,being such a unique and detailed model I think that it deserves the coverage that it is getting,the pedigree of this model stems back to the Hasegawa company who manufactured only 500 kits of the very original model,Hachette realised the potential as a part works and re-engineered it,despite the shortcomings in casting quality and a few other issues it presents a challenge to scale model builders,it is very labour intensive as a subject but the intention is to see the project through to the end and along the way assist others with the build process.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Speaking of museum quality modelsCheck this out- it's amazing (where the hell do you get rivets that size?)

http://www.rojasbazan.com/index.html
*** We have spoken before here about these astounding models,the detail is little short of being aircraft in miniature with engines as well under the cowlings,although the technique is a secret the parts appear to be pre-formed alloy pressed pieces that are assembled around dolly blocks and these tiny rivets,if you could develope some sort of riveting crimping tool then that would be the answer but there certainly is a lot of work that goes into them,probably thousands of hours in fact.He has a ready market for everything he makes,he is the Gerald Wingrove of the aircraft world.

The first all metal flying radio controlled model aircraft was made by a Mr Holloway who flew his Beagle Pup at the British Nationals back in 1965,prior to that Frog marketed the Pioneer all metal flying model aeroplane which utilised crimped lightweight alloy for its structure,one of these would certainly be considered a collectors piece today.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kiwi

Just saw the first ad on TV today for this model. Magazine cost here is NZ$13 per issue. First mag is NZ$4.

Thought you also may be interested in this shot I took 3 days ago (Easter Sunday)

View attachment 7544

/monthly_2005_03/f7.jpg.f6b6047f01e98ace650c9a5db0dce888.jpg

View attachment 12839

f7.jpg

Last edited:
N

No.6

That’s a nice photo Kiwi.

The DR1 is one of my favourite aircraft.

Even people who don’t know much about aviation recognise the aircraft when it it's in the red livery of Rittmeister Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

I don’t know if you have heard of a Kiwi named Clive Franklyn Collett? He was brought to my attention when I was reading James McCudden's memoir "Flying Fury" he came down over the Firth of Forth near my home town of Edinburgh whilst flying a captured Albatros (this is what drew my attention).

However it turns out that he was the first Ace of the war to claim a victory in a Sopwith Camel and he was experimenting with the use of parachutes and voluntarily jumped from B.E.2c!!!

Von Richthofen might have been the most Famous Pilot of the Great War but there where other young men just as courageous as he was.

This is a good site to remember some of them and their machines www.theaerodrome.com

K

Kiwi

This aircraft is in that formation. It is finished in the colours of Richthofen's reserve aircraft.

Collet finished up with 18 victories and the Camel flying at the same show was in his markings.

View attachment 7548

/monthly_2005_03/f2.jpg.02298367b58c859547d3457648abaa6a.jpg

View attachment 12843

f2.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I'm building here in Australia
***Good to have you in the hangar Jock,hope that you find the notes useful,which issue number are you up to there ?

J

jock

Just received issue 25.

I'm still working on the lower wing about to add the rib caps.

Jock

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just received issue 25.I'm still working on the lower wing about to add the rib caps.

Jock
***Jock try and get one of those model ship planking tools,a good investment to pre-curve the capping strips prior to glueing into place,there is a lot of work in these wings but the work is repaid with a realistic internal structure.Best of luck.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just saw the first ad on TV today for this model. Magazine cost here is NZ$13 per issue. First mag is NZ$4.Thought you also may be interested in this shot I took 3 days ago (Easter Sunday)
*** More pictures and details please of these replica Fokker Triplane aircraft & that Camel too ! the backdrop is beautiful,where is it ?

K

Kiwi

About those Fokker photos. What may not be generally known is that Peter Jackson (Director of "Lord of the Rings", "King Kong" etc) is a very keen WW1 aviation historian and collector. Every 2 years (at Easter) he stages a air show at an airfield (a proper airfield, no strips or runways) called Omaka, on the outskirts of Blenheim at the top of the South Island, about 2 hours from where I currently live. Based there is now a total of 23 WW1 aircraft some original, some replicas but all flyable or awaiting resoration to flying condition.

Included in the German aircraft are 5 Fokker triplanes and four of these are shown here. The first is in the markings of Fritz Muller, the second is that of the well known Kempf machineand then the next is von Richthofens reserve aircraft, we then have Hans Kircheim's aircraft. The 5th aircraft I currently can't find my photo of. He has another 2 Dr1s but these are in need of a lot of work, These were all sourced from the US.

More German aircraft to come and then I'll post some of the allied stuff. You happy for these to be on this thread or shall I shift them elsewhere?

View attachment 7554

View attachment 7553

View attachment 7552

View attachment 7551

View attachment 7550

/monthly_2005_04/f4.jpg.05f50f3ee9f8440d0a4a2bdab46017dc.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/f3.jpg.f61d23ab1fb363962c0372478a54120d.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/f2.jpg.780056bf883ccc7e63ad7389f1502071.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/f6.jpg.10dd62c18ccd15adf1c041659d06f4fa.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/f5.jpg.cd85a8216893f8cccc4f49f3d238f898.jpg

View attachment 12845

View attachment 12846

View attachment 12847

View attachment 12848

View attachment 12849

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

Last edited:
J

jock

***Jock try and get one of those model ship planking tools' date='a good investment to pre-curve the capping strips prior to glueing into place,there is a lot of work in these wings but the work is repaid with a realistic internal structure.Best of luck.[/quote']I use my electric soldering iron to bend the planks after soaking in water.

I've seen some extra detail added to the ribs mainly a vertical rib and triangular pieces added to the front edge of the wing. I'm trying to find another source for this modification before I proceed any further.

For any modifictions I like to have at least 2 independent sources.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Kiwi,keep them coming,here is fine,as many detail pictures and further info as possible,did you take a general view of the airfield for us to see ? we have a few Dr.1 replica aircraft here in the UK,some were built for the 'Blue Max' 'Darling Lil' films ( probably where the NZ aircraft originated as they had a big sale at Powerscourt house in Ireland,when the film companies assetts were sold off ) one aircraaft built by Westward airways at Lands End ( the late Viv Bellamy ) crashed a few years back killing the pilot,it is believed that the all moving rudder detached itself in flight,most of the replica aircraft are fitted with Salmson or Warner Scarab radials which are heavier,the Scarab was fitted into the Fairchild Argus so it gives you some idea of what this engine will lift.