Red Baron Fokker Triplane-Issue 64-Elevators

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That’s a nice photo Kiwi.The DR1 is one of my favourite aircraft.

Even people who don’t know much about aviation recognise the aircraft when it it's in the red livery of Rittmeister Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

I don’t know if you have heard of a Kiwi named Clive Franklyn Collett? He was brought to my attention when I was reading James McCudden's memoir "Flying Fury" he came down over the Firth of Forth near my home town of Edinburgh whilst flying a captured Albatros (this is what drew my attention).

However it turns out that he was the first Ace of the war to claim a victory in a Sopwith Camel and he was experimenting with the use of parachutes ***and voluntarily jumped from B.E.2c!!!

Von Richthofen might have been the most Famous Pilot of the Great War but there where other young men just as courageous as he was.

This is a good site to remember some of them and their machines www.theaerodrome.com
*** No.6 you are correct in saying that there were other equally brave pilots as Richthofen,just as portrayed in that excellent film 'The Blue Max' where a national hero was required by the then German air ministry,Richthofen was of the right blood,a true hunter,the powers that be made him into the hero he is portrayed as,they were very successful in creating good moral even to this day his name lives on,there is that certain enigma,mystery that will always surrround him,you only have to look at the sheer number of models,books and replica aircraft that have been made surrounding his lifetime,yes there were the unsung heroes that lasted perhaps hours in the bloody aerial encounters,the lack of training for battle and the un-reliability of certain aircraft both engines & airframes.

It is a very colourful period well worth a study,and as a modelling subject excellent.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use my electric soldering iron to bend the planks after soaking in water.I've seen some extra detail added to the ribs mainly a vertical rib and triangular pieces added to the front edge of the wing. I'm trying to find another source for this modification before I proceed any further.

For any modifictions I like to have at least 2 independent sources.
*** Yes Jock they have simplified the wing construction for production reasons,nothing to stop builders adding other uprights to the ribs,the actual ribs were hand made in jigs with wooden turnscrews that locked the capping in place,these were then threaded onto the main spars,tacked and glued with brass brads,the trailing edge was piano wire helpd in place with clips which when doped adopted that scalloped shape,not sure about the leading edge gussets will have to research those further,there will be latticed ribbinmg in a late issue that has to be threaded around the ribs,good to have another Red Baron builder on board ! :bravo:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use my electric soldering iron to bend the planks after soaking in water.I've seen some extra detail added to the ribs mainly a vertical rib and triangular pieces added to the front edge of the wing. I'm trying to find another source for this modification before I proceed any further.

For any modifictions I like to have at least 2 independent sources.
*** Good tip about the heated soldering iron Jock,must try that one on my second model,I have enough parts to build another one in a different colourscheme or even thought of making the biplane version of the Dr.1,forgot the designation off hand ?

K

Kiwi

Peter Jackson says it was seeing "Blue Max" when he was about 12 that got him hooked on WW1 aircraft, the old story "I liked the film so much I bought the aircraft!"

Its taken about 3 years for it to be made airworthy again. He purposely left it the 20th Century Fox version of a color scheme (even though it's wildly inaccurate) given his interest in films and also it is accurate for the particular aircraft which was built especially for the film.

Also shown is a Halberstadt D IV ready to do battle and, waiting in a corner of the hangar, a Siemans Schuckert D IV awaits it's turn.

One thing about having a film producer playing is that you never know what he will have the props department turn out. Ground theater forms a large part of the show with battles raging instead of just having aircraft fly around. The tank is built on Caterpillar running gear and, unlike the original, has 4 closed circuit TVs on board so the driver can navigate. PJ supplies heaps of blank ammo and explosives for the troops who fight WW1 in the morning and then they all get changed and do WW2 in the afternoon. Lotsa noise, lotsa fun!

Start saving! you've got two years to find your fare!

I'll show you some of the allies stuff soon.

View attachment 7573

View attachment 7572

View attachment 7571

View attachment 7570

/monthly_2005_04/57272b6e3741b_@tank.jpg.2d96deec8522bc64ab87ce485db450c8.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/ssiv.jpg.b2e5325b0251d51ef4ce8a407c8643c1.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/div.jpg.b9d57c62194acaa242bd0694d7233695.jpg

/monthly_2005_04/diii.jpg.d89da7191dddd96504333006b014bdd8.jpg

View attachment 12865

View attachment 12866

View attachment 12867

View attachment 12868

diii.jpg

div.jpg

ssiv.jpg

$%@tank.jpg

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Kiwi, that Siemens Schuckert D.IV in picture number 3 is a rarity, the airfield looks superb and little wonder the film companies make the most of it,it is about time we had another WW.1 movie and what better place than here to make it than here ? the backdrop is also excellent and adds real atmosphere.

We have the Shuttleworth Trust here at Old Warden in the UK and also Rendcomb RFC in the Cotswolds with a selection of WW.1 types in residence.

K

Kiwi

When peter Jackson is asked about a WW1 movie he says that making movies is work, WW1 aeroplanes are for fun. i.e. he doesn't mix work with his hobby.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
When peter Jackson is asked about a WW1 movie he says that making movies is work' date=' WW1 aeroplanes are for fun. i.e. he doesn't mix work with his hobby.[/quote']*** Dont blame him one bit,when they completed the 'Blue Max' film the intention was to round up all of the aeroplanes and do a re-make of 'Hells Angels' unfortunately with the flop of 'Darlin Lil' at the box office ( there were no DVD's in those days to support the movies) they had second thoughts and cancelled the plans to build a Gotha replica,concentrating instead on that strange 'Biggles' film,the film props were made by a company called Viking Wood products down in Wiltshire,we had an Avro 504,DH.2,Zeppelin gondola etc stored locally,these looked good from a distance but on closer inspection had steel for struts and undercarriages,just the sort of thing that the film companies love to throw around ! they served the purpose and could be 'flown' from cranes and easily crashed for the more dramatic sequences.

The flying in the 'Blue Max' was genuine,even to flying through that bridge in Ireland,they did it by positioning poles in a line and flying with great precision,I think there was something like seven feet either side of the Fokker Triplanes wing so it must have been a bit hairy scary.