Red Baron Issue No.100-The Cowling & bearing bush.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
ISSUE No.100-The Cowling and bush.

Well the cowling has finally arrived to complete the front end of the model,one bush and not two has been supplied,this fits inside the front cowl opening and supports the heavy rotary engine,just make sure that the cowling has been well araldited onto the front former,with the propeller I would like to have seen a lot longer main shaft,this area looks vulnerable to getting knocked off.

The whole model weighs a ton so make sure that when you lift her up,do so from ther bottom of the fuselage,all of those struts need attaching securely.

da9cba90.jpg

dabc7af0.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

T

Teddy

Barry, The cowling in your picture seems very shiny compared with the one I received. Have you buffed it up some way ?

Ted

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** No Ted,not at all,I wonder if they made some from a different metal to meet the demand ?

Barry, The cowling in your picture seems very shiny compared with the one I received. Have you buffed it up some way ? Ted

G

Goldie

Barry ...........having just been given an almost finished model of the DR1:smile11: ...Chap seems to have quite a " thing " for epoxy...having to trim...slice or just chop great lumps off....its coming along nicely...just wish the chap hadn't bothered...as i've had ,to redo so much of his work...oh well...

P

Phoenix

is this an rc model or a static one

i have been wonder for ages haha

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** I hope that you find the tips and building instructions useful in your restoration,keep chipping off the araldite !

Barry ...........having just been given an almost finished model of the DR1:smile11: ...Chap seems to have quite a " thing " for epoxy...having to trim...slice or just chop great lumps off....its coming along nicely...just wish the chap hadn't bothered...as i've had ' date='to redo so much of his work...oh well...[/quote']

A

alan2525

That's a beautiful looking model.

Do you have any higher resolution images you could email me - I'd like to have a nose at the wing construction.

I'm thinking of possible project for my CNC milling machine I'm currently ordering....

T

tigertc

Reserection of a long lost post!!!!

Update would be ..mmmmm....good?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well there is not much to update,as it has been said in the concise Scale-Models instructions that the manufacturers failed to deliver !

Make no mistake about it this model was a lemon and I for one never want to go through that fiasco ever again,in fact it put me off partworks for good.

Although the model looks ok it has had scores of modificationss to get there which have all been covered week by week here,think it best to keep the thread open until the end of 2007 then eventually close it for posterity,those that are hoarding the parts can then refer back when they do their own build.

R

romanmodels

Hoarding parts have only just got isses 65 67 68 69 have retuned isse 65 becouse of crap castings two looked like drops off metal pickedup from the floor.may ask you to keep the tread open a bit longer.

R

romanmodels

Barrey

Thanks for for taking the time to post your experances and sulushion to building hachetts red baron . the only consalasion to delaed mailings from them. in your post you menshion building a sopwith camel model airways make a kit 1:16 scale that looks good lot more detail than the red baron and only $200. going on my christmas list.website www.modelexpo-online.com. David.

A

avionette

Hello sorry my english

where cabn i buy this statc kit? i like reproduce red baron airkraft

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
To those still building this model even though it has been off the shelves now for some years,the thread is always open for advice on this subject,to Avionette I would say that although the partworks has finished in most countries they do appear on the online auction sites on occasions and you can pick up some unbuilt bargains.

The casting metal used was/is very brittle and requires great care when fettling,the whole model is a challenge and certainly not for beginners with a few wooden models under their belt,but as can be seen it is possible to make a very impressive model of it.

Wonwinglo.

J

juan

Hi wonwinglo, fantastic thread. I have had the triplane sitting in my attic waiting for a rainy day. That day is now. I am part way through and have been trying to take advantage of any help I can get. I am logged onto the forum but cannot see any of the photographs that were once attached. Have they been removed because of the age of the thread? I could particularly do with the ones of the corrections to the carburetor assembly. I am also trying to find a photo that clearly shows the seat belt and attachment points as this is an obvious omission from the model. Has anyone found an accurate way to represent the rigging and proper way of attachments? Any chance of an email of the photos if unavailable on the site?

Thanks

Juan

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Juan I cannot explain thae lack of pictures but there is a back up on Scale-models.net

Wonwinglo

J

juan

Thanks wonwinglo. I still can't find the backup. Any chance of a direct link.

I could also do with a clear picture of the wiring for the various cockpit instruments. There are obvious points on the backs but no indication of what cables should attach and where the other end would go. I am getting there slowly and have all the metalwork and engine complete. I am glad I am not the only one who has had problems and I am an experienced modeller. The cleaning up of the metal pieces took forever. I also had two of the same side of the seat brackets which necessitated a bit of re-modelling. Still I guess thats part of the fun of modelling and having got this far I am determined to make the best of it and complete it.

Thank heavens for forums to share points.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
One of the big problems with this model has been locating period detailed information for which little exists,a wiring picture for the instruments is therefore a tall order !

Misplaced parts was and still is a problem with these partworks issues we are having the same dilemma with the Lancaster.

Scale.Models.net is down at the moment due to a crash but John informs me that it will be up soon,within there is a lot of info and pictures for this model.

Wonwinglo.

D

Diingo

Hi Wonwinglo, after forking out just over $1200aust for this piece of rubbish I've finaly gotten around to re-building it and doing a much better job of it using U'r build intructions than the rubbish magazine that it came with, Wonwinglo U've save my sanity on this one and my life as my wife was getting to point of wanting to kill me becasue I didn't want to do anything with it, the wings have now been covered but instead of using the plastic crap they supplied I have used tissue and dope and it has come up real good all I've got to do no is get the fuselage right and it will soon hang from the ceiling of our new home with the help of some very strong fishing line and large ceiling hooks, Wonwinglo thanks for saving my bacon BUT i'll never build anothe one of these magazine models again for as long as I live.

Dingo

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I have the set in my cupboard waiting for when I have the space. This thread is going to be useful, cheers for posting the build tips.