Removing ancient paint

First Name
Adrian
I'm asking this as I am going to attempt to redo one of my Babylon 5 Starfury's, I have ordered new resin guns and decals, but I'm concerned about the paint on the kit, if I recall correctly it was revell enamals that I used, so my question is can I use oven cleaner as I normally do?

I do have some Modelstrip as well if I need to get the job done if the cleaner wont cut it.

Adrian

G

GeeBee

I would go and get yourself some caustic soda crystals and mix it with cold water, and leave it to soak for a few hours, it will be down to the bare plastic in no time .....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dont even think about it. Caustic Soda will destroy the kit as well as the paint.

Ian M

G

GeeBee

\ said:
Dont even think about it. Caustic Soda will destroy the kit as well as the paint.Ian M
If the model is styrene it won't, I wouldn't post anything on this or any other forum that I haven't tried and know to be perfectly safe to do, if it's resin then I not sure if it would affect it ....

Last edited:
P

phalinmegob

lol, i have seen caustic soda melt the bottom of a rusty metal bucket. filled the bucket with caustic soda to clean something and left it over night in the garden , in the morning the bottom of the bucket had gone. wouldnt dare put a model near the stuff

G

GeeBee

\ said:
lol, i have seen caustic soda melt the bottom of a rusty metal bucket. filled the bucket with caustic soda to clean something and left it over night in the garden , in the morning the bottom of the bucket had gone. wouldnt dare put a model near the stuff
Caustic soda will go thought aluminium, and will etch glass, but will do absolutely nothing to Styrene plastic, which is why it tells you on the bottle to use a plastic bucket or bowl to mix it and not metal or glass

P

phalinmegob

my bad lol, just goes to show what happens when you dont read the labels,still makes me laugh when i think about that bucket.

A

AVB99

Hello Adrian

I use Badger Aerosol airbrush cleaner. I spray it on to the surface, it splinters the paint and then I rub off the paint under running cold water. I've done this several times on my Revell Model T Ford when I was trying to get the gloss paint right. Works a treat.

Aidan

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Oven cleaner will do the job, others have suggested using brake fluid etc. A few threads on paint removal on the forum.