Removing mould lines from 1/72 soft plastic figures.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Those who have tried to remove the mould lines successfully from soft plastic figures ect. will know it's nigh on impossible to do to any degree of satisfaction...

However, following on from Steve's (stona) observation on the soft plastic tyres now included in some aircraft kits and how he has put the tyres in the freezer to harden them prior to trying to clean them up, I committed some 1/72 figures to the same treatment a couple of hours ago, and have just had a go at cleaning the lines up.

What a revelation! The stuff came off as sweet as a nut, first scrape.

I don't know if it helped but I had primed the figures a couple of days ago ready for painting, before Steve's idea came up for freezing them....

Whatever the reason, the treatment worked a treat for me, so we owe Steve one for helping to seemingly solve the old problem!

Thanks Steve,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank God it worked on the figures as well as it does on those tyres (which I don't like at all incidentally). I'd have had to leave the country if it had been a miserable failiure!!!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, how would we all have gone on without 'Das Luftwaffe Direktor'!

Incidently chaps, it's Steve, not me who deserves the medal.....I was just the lab. assistant!

Cheers all,

Ron

B

Brickie

Yes, I was having just this problem the other week - thanks for that!

C

CDW

This simple idea's the doggies dangly bits !!!!!

Was having a right pain with some 1/72 HAT industrie "soft" plastic Highlander figures .....

Works a treat, if you can work on the figures ASAP some of the little bits just snap off clean as a whistle.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Perhaps us grateful punters should have a whip round and show Prof. Steve how much we appreciate his terrific research and finally the solving of this old chestnut!lol

Well done Steve, my contribution is winging it's way to you (Don't put the cheque in the bank 'till 2050!)

Cheers,

Ron

B

Brickie

\ said:
Works a treat, if you can work on the figures ASAP some of the little bits just snap off clean as a whistle.
Bayonets ... rifles ... arms...

C

CDW

\ said:
us grateful punters should have a whip round and show Prof. Steve how much we appreciate his terrific research
I'm gonna save all the little bits up and mail them on to steve, he can melt them down, mould them and get a free model out of the deal ..... generous to a fault i am :smiling3: :smiling3:

\ said:
Bayonets ... rifles ... arms...
Not yet, but it's inevitable with my clumbsiness and eyesight :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm gonna save all the little bits up and mail them on to steve, he can melt them down, mould them and get a free model out of the deal ..... generous to a fault i am :smiling3: :smiling3:
oh stop it,you guys are breaking my heart :smiling3:

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: