"Removing Paint from SprayCan for AirBrush"

C

CadillacPat

Here's a little Tutorial I posted on the Net a few years back and Scale Model Magazine contacted me requesting to run it.

Nowadays all I use on my Custom Diecast is House Of Kolor Automotive paints.

However when I first started AirBrushing with a simple single action Paasche H I used a variety of aerosol paints, i.e., Duplicolor, Testors, Model Master, even cheap spray paint from the House Paint aisle at Walmart.

I found that any paint can deliver great results if you remove it from the can and if needed, further thin it for AirBrushing.

This post can still be found today on many Custom sites.

Here's a trick I came up with to transfer paint from the aerosol can to a container so I could spray it with my Airbrush.

Scale Model Magazine contacted me and requested to publish it.

You will need a 3" - 4" length of plastic drinking straw, some 1" wide tape, and of course a suitable container.

I collect the empty film cans from local WalMart Photoshops. This soft pliable plastic will not react with enamel or lacquer paints.

An easy to find alternate choice is Medicine Cups from your local Medical Supply Store.

They're about $4 per 100 in 1oz. size, and have several different increments of graduation marked on them.

1st-----Butt the straw up to the hole in the button of the Aerosol can. In most cases with Duplicolor, the straw will actually slip over a short protrusion in the button.

2nd-----Wrap the tape around the straw and button so they are held together firmly and tightly.

3rd-----Just spray your paint into whatever container you've chosen.

The straw will perform like a muffler, choking down the escaping gases and allowing the paint to gently run out the end of the straw.

If you're only using small amounts of paint, you can just spray the paint directly into your paint cup.

Opaque paints and primers will need to be thinned about 30% but Metallic paints usually come ready to go right out of the can.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--

Last edited: