Repairing a Glass Fibre Fuselage Soarer

M

Mark Townsend

Hi David

Thanks for your mail unfortunately missed ebay sale work has blocked it out so could not get on to the site. Thanks for the info have spoken to several people about glassing wing and have most of the information I need, can you recommend the weight of cloth that I will need for the job. Also the wing joiner is fitted but there is no method of clamping wings in position, just seems to rely on the wing staying butted up to the fuss on its own is this the norm. I would like to convert the wings over to having servos in them you said you were fitting some in yours can you tell me the torque rating I would need for ailerons and flaps. Mark.

First Name
David
Mark

I use 0.8 oz/sq. yard glass cloth for my models. On the PIK 20 it is only the friction of the carbon fibre rod in its wing tube that keeps it in place but it is such that the wing has no chance of coming off in the air. On 100" gliders I used to put a small hook into the end rib of both wings and connect them together with elastic bands via a hole in the fuselage, better safe than sorry if you feel there is any chance of shedding a wing in flight.

My choice of servo for the ailerons and flaps was the GWS Micro 2BBMG as they have small profile and almost bury themselves into the wing, have a high 75 oz-in (5.4 kg-cm) torque and are at an affordable price. For the spoilers a standard Futaba 128 was already fitted when I bought it.