Revel Spitfire mk 1X 1/48

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start will be keeping an eye on this one,must get around to doing one myshelf one day,

D

dubster72

"On a whim" he says! It's all of Dan do to open a box, much less actually so some modelling!

Watching this with interest Dave. It'll be

good seeing how this & the Corvette go

along together.

Cheers

Patrick

D

daveb257

Few bits tonight,

Cockpit taking shape

Little detailing on interior, never weathered a plane before so just a few bits of black & brown to look grubby

Coat of Vallejo smoke on exhausts over steel

First assembly of the wings, how does something so small need so much support???

D

daveb257

Don't like the seat now after seeing that, time for another go !

Will re do cushion & run over dials with some white

First Name
Dave
I built one of these last year.Its a nice kit.The 'Rivet counters' reckon the fuselage is too short.But to me the finished model looks good next to my mk1 and mk12.

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
I built one of these last year.Its a nice kit.The 'Rivet counters' reckon the fuselage is too short.But to me the finished model looks good next to my mk1 and mk12.
Having spent several hours, at Duxford, when Hasegawa (for that's to whom it belongs) first issued this kit, checking its dimensions against three airframes, for a modelling magazine (and finding that it is, indeed, short,) it would be appreciated if "researchers" replaced the expression "rivet counters." It's now known that Hasegawa used a set of dud drawings from a highly-regarded Japanese book, as a template for their moulds.

Edgar

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Having spent several hours, at Duxford, when Hasegawa (for that's to whom it belongs) first issued this kit, checking its dimensions against three airframes, for a modelling magazine (and finding that it is, indeed, short,) it would be appreciated if "researchers" replaced the expression "rivet counters." It's now known that Hasegawa used a set of dud drawings from a highly-regarded Japanese book, as a template for their moulds.Edgar
I know it isn't Completely accurate.I was just saying it still looks good to those of us that are not worried if the dimensions are a millimetre or two out here and there.As long as it looks like a spitfire mkIX which this kit does, then those of us who are not ' rivet counters' are happy to build them.Ive got another one of these in my stash and also one of the new Eduard kits.The Eduard is definately a better kit , but I will still build the Hasegawa/Revell kit some day.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Having spent several hours, at Duxford, when Hasegawa (for that's to whom it belongs) first issued this kit, checking its dimensions against three airframes, for a modelling magazine (and finding that it is, indeed, short,) it would be appreciated if "researchers" replaced the expression "rivet counters." It's now known that Hasegawa used a set of dud drawings from a highly-regarded Japanese book, as a template for their moulds.Edgar
Edgar

'Rivet counters' refers to people who are over-zealous in their search for accuracy, not anyone genuinely involved in determining if a kit is accurate.

I can be a rivet counter myself about AFV models on occasion!

Cheers

Patrick

N

noble

\ said:
I know it isn't Completely accurate.I was just saying it still looks good to those of us that are not worried if the dimensions are a millimetre or two out here and there.As long as it looks like a spitfire mkIX which this kit does, then those of us who are not ' rivet counters' are happy to build them.Ive got another one of these in my stash and also one of the new Eduard kits.The Eduard is definately a better kit , but I will still build the Hasegawa/Revell kit some day.

N

noble

nice looking cockpit so far Dave, There is a difference between researchers and rivet counters I do research into my kits but there are those who go above and beyond and take things far beyond the extreme.

scott

D

daveb257

Thanks for all the compliments folks, I'm definitely in the "if it looks right" category although I will research stuff, I've started a nasty (expensive) habit of getting the Haynes manuals for stuff.

Have put fuselage & wings together tonight & given them a coat of primer

Have got a lot to do this weekend & next so this will be the odd 20/30 mins here & there for a while now

D

daveb257

Primer done, body wasn't that bad, quite a pronounced ridge along top of engine cover so that needed a fair bit of attention

Few bits of aluminium added on leading edges in case I'm brave enough to try some chipping !

And it's all practice for............

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, a bit of surgery but it all looks like it is coming together nicely. Big Daddy looks interesting.

D

daveb257

Started painting today, first time I've tried masking camouflage - green first then masked off the edges with white tack, need to look at port wing as not enough green but can sort that tomorrow

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely. It takes a fair amount of time and patience to do that masking.

D

daveb257

Thought I would dry fit U/C & see how it looks,

The verdict - Way to many brushmarks, didn't look that bad until I put a coat of Vallejo Satin on now really obvious

Not sure if I should start again and get the wet & dry out or leave as is, am planning to weather this up,so may well hide the worst of it

Am quite pleased how the battered & worn prop has come out though