Revell 1/144 Concorde

M

Mike

Fresh from getting frustrated with Airfix and building their supposed Skill Level 1 Starter kit 4 times before it only remotely looked any good, I thought I'd try my hand at a plane. The Revell Concorde looks good, Skill Level 3 though, if it uses the same sliding scale Airfix does, I'm screwed.

So, 2nd ever model, here goes.

Loads of flashing all over this kit, but mainly in the fiddly small bits, but the fuselage of the plane is fine.

Still, I've got a few bits n bobs now, so not a problem:

One thing I will say about the Revell kit, it comes with an awesome glue with a needle for pin point precision, much better than using the cement with a cocktail stick. Also the paints that come with this kit actually work! The black only needs one coat, the aluminium needs a couple, but one covers enough. Good quality bits, but then it is a lot more than the Airfix starter kits so one would naturally expect better quality.

Unfortunately, the wings do not fit properly. It's a three part construction so it might be because I put part 1 on and let the glue dry before fixing the wings and finding the positioning of part 1 wasn't perfect. Unfortunately I only have two hands, but if I'd left it so that the glue wasn't fully dry I'd have been able to move it to get a better join. Still, you can only really tell from underneath and I have the under carriage down so you only know it's there if pointed out. Have a look at the HUGE lines exposed here, easier to see with the silver paint:

Now I have two problems, I've not painted the white as the kit already was white, but it's quite translucent so that silver paint is actually visible as a darker patch on the top. You can also see the fuselage join at the top. I have some bits that'll help here. But not a lot.

You can see to bad fit at the edges of the wing here:

I've got a lot of decals to apply, so I'm thinking before then use this opportunity to learn new skills, head down to the shop and get me modelling putty, white paint, more aerosol for the airbrush and a gloss to coat with when done. The top side shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not sure about the underneath. It'll be really fiddly now I've got the undercarriage laid down so I might just have to putty and paint with a brush instead... What would you do?

Compared to the Skill Level 1 Airfix HMS Victory, this Skill Level 3 Concorde has been a doddle! Lots more time needed, but it's no harder - of course I haven't put the decals down yet so I may be changing my mind at some point!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Michael, its not a bad kit is it? The only problem I had with mine was the dozens of tiny decals , they took ages!! apart from that I really enjoyed mine , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 3568

Great start and light years ahead of the victory if you keep improving at this rate you will be a master by your 6th model. Can't you just mask up the undercarriage, personally I would have sprayed the body before putting the undercarriage on

T

Tone M

Looking really smart mate :D

I've always been a fan of Concorde, never really understood why they were basically banned..... Many more 747's crashed than Le Concorde :confused:

When i win the lotto and get a much bigger flat i'd like to have a go at Heller's 1/72 Concorde ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking good :smiling3: I built the revell one for my farther in law about two years ago and that is very similar set up to yours but I think from looking at yours you didn't need so much filler as I did :D And there are fewer decals in yours than mine

A

andyrobs

Looking good Michael, I nearly bought the airfix 1:72 concorde from a charity shop a little while ago, knda kick myself for not getting it!!!

Cheers, Andrew

M

Mike

\ said:
Personally I would have sprayed the body before putting the undercarriage on.
I would too, but I checked the instructions and everything was white, as was the plastic so thought I'd cut a corner and build quicker. Consider that lesson learnt. If the painting is white and the plastic is white just fudging paint it, just in case!!

M

Mike

\ said:
Looking good :smiling3: I built the revell one for my farther in law about two years ago and that is very similar set up to yours but I think from looking at yours you didn't need so much filler as I did :D And there are fewer decals in yours than mine
I saw your build after doing a quick search on here, inspired me to go pick it up as your photos were detailed enough to know I should be able to pick it up easily enough myself!

M

Mike

So I've bought more bits, this model making business is expensive! Though it did occur to me in the shop I haven't really done much with the air brush so going to try it out on a model Spitfire I had already which I don't mind cocking up and come back to this

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I saw your build after doing a quick search on here, inspired me to go pick it up as your photos were detailed enough to know I should be able to pick it up easily enough myself!
I'm pleased it helped you out :smiling3:

S

steve scan

This is looking better than my attempt ever did, I was very disappointed with the quality of mine considering how good some of their other airliner kits are, in the end I binned it, nice going.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Michael. Will be a stunner when completed. That's a very comprehensive decal sheet.