Revell 1:32 scale Dehavilland Mosquito.

G

garethbulbeck

Well after a very long break from modelling I have now decided to take the hobby up again. For my first build (and being a fan of larger scale models) I thought I would ease myself back in with the Revell mosquito kit. On first impressions it hasn't changed much in all the years it has been around but it should provide a fun build.

Revell_Mosquito_Mk_IV_32nd.jpg

Now normally you would start with the cockpit area on this build but after having a look at the destruction's I have decided that this is an area that is going to require some reworking so I have decided to jump a few steps and get on with building the engine and nacelle. Now I have had a look at the sprue and it is a fairly basic design and needs some flashing and mold lines cleaning up.

WP_20160407_19_11_30_Pro.jpg

After the rather basic engine is assembled from the kit it should look like the image below. please note that this is just an image that I have pulled from google and has not been built by me.

10642_4.jpg

Now this is an image of the port side engine with cover removed on a Dehavilland Mosquito.

img_2120_1024x683.jpg

On first impressions I have noticed the following.

Exhaust ports the wrong shape, no shroud around the exhaust, no cabling in the model, there are various pipes and assemblies missing. but the main thing that caught my eye was the engine support framework. On the real Mosquito the engine bulkhead is in line with the removable inspection panel and the framework extends to that bulkhead but on the model the bulkhead seems to be further forward revealing a gap.

Now either the models bulkhead is too far forward or the removable inspection panel extends to far back?

This should provide hours of fun, frustration and near crying experiences!

F

Fenlander

Ambitious start but why not? Looking forward to seeing this develop Gareth, good luck with it.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well if your going to restart a hobby you may as well start big, and that is a big kit.

I'm going to watch this one Gareth it looks like you have some great ideas with it.

D

Deleted member 4539

I'll be watching this to see what you do with it:smiling3:.

G

garethbulbeck

Well its big in terms of size but there is hardly any detail to the kit, hopefully I will improve that. I have assembled the engine block and dry fitted it to the nacelle to see what the fit is like and to see what room there is around it to add some more detail.