Revell 1:350 Type VII Uboat

F

Ferrets Bueller

Well after completing my Bismark i thought this would make a good companion on its shelf.

To be fair its a nice little kit, it took me all off 45 mins to complete gluing it together and i now have eye strain

Ill say one thing how small is this thing

A coat of primer is next

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great U-boat Paul. What you need now is a 1/350 destroyer dropping depth charges. I always thought that something like that would make a great dio (the U-boat submerged in resin with the destroyer above).

Looks a great little kit.

Cheers

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

I've seen a model of the Bismark displayed with a U-Boat alongside it to demonstrate just how small these things were. The U-Boat was simply sat on a brass rod alongside the Bismarck at the same water line and they actually looked very good together. There was a particular U-Boat that had a special relationship with the Bismarck, which I think was a type VII, so building it as this one would work well. If you can't find out which U-Boat let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

B

Bunkerbarge

Got it, the U-Boat was the 556. Stick it in Google, there is a lot of information about the story of the U-Boat and how it played a part in the Bismarck history.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Got it, the U-Boat was the 556. Stick it in Google, there is a lot of information about the story of the U-Boat and how it played a part in the Bismarck history.
Thanks for that Richard i will go have a look now. I knew the type vii class would have been about with the Bismarck but if i can get an exact numer then thats great.

Cheers Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

Here you go, 556 was a Type VII C and built at the same yard as the Bismarck:

The Type VIIC boat U-556 - German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net

This is actually a brilliant site for U-Boat information and thier connections so well worth a good dig around.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Here you go, 556 was a Type VII C and built at the same yard as the Bismarck:The Type VIIC boat U-556 - German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net

This is actually a brilliant site for U-Boat information and thier connections so well worth a good dig around.
Nice one Richard and your right that is a good site for info, i need to have a good dig around to find out what colour scheme the uboat had at that time

F

Ferrets Bueller

Ok i got one scheme, looks good too

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Great scheme, would look brilliant alongside the Bismarck with splinter camoflage.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Great scheme, would look brilliant alongside the Bismarck with splinter camoflage.
Well thats the only one i can find so itll be that one then, im gonna have fun masking it off thats for sure.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice little U-boot Paul. I have the 1/72 scale version in my stash. U-boot net is a really cool site and there are some fantastic models to be found in the links. My plan is to build mine as the U-boat that sank HMS Bluebell that I am building at the moment.

Now I have no idea how big a blackberry is, but looking at the photo of the sprues on the instructions, I'm guessing the sub is about 20cm long.

Good luck with the paint job. Glad its not me masking it off.

Ian M

F

Ferrets Bueller

Hi Ian yeah your right its about 19.5 cm long and yeah masking off is gonna be a complete pig to do, but itll be worth it.

One thing about that uboat site is i started a search for the ship my grandad was on in WW2 it was a merchant navy ship but i dont know the ship name and my grandads name brings up nothing. All i know is that my grandad was 18 years old and on look out for uboats in the crows nest (i think thats right anyway) and he fell alseep on the job and yep the ship was torpedoed and sunk, my grandad and 9 others incuding an officer were on an open raft for 2 weeks and prusumed dead, the officer even had to draw his gun on my grandad to stop him drinking sea water i then belive they were picked up by another ship. I recently lost my dad and i got my grandads medals just a navy star and sevice medal (they were the one thing i wanted) but i know there was a newspaper arcticle with all the details about the incident which my nan had hanging on her hallway wall. I know my dad had a copy of this article but at this moment in time its stuck in a box in teneriffe (my dad retired there) and his (remarried) wife keeps forgetting to get it for me. Ive just emailed one of my aunties to see if she knows the name of the ship, so fingers crossed.

B

Bunkerbarge

Have you thought of contacting the newspaper that may have run the article? If you don't know the paper it's likely to be a local one in the area where your Grandad lived such as the Liverpool Echo etc. They might have something in thier archives that they may be able to link up to your Grandad.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Well ive sprayed the bottom of the hull Dark sea grey and the top pale grey blue and made a start to the camo pattern, i will wait for it to dry as you can see ive lost a little painit to the masking tape then will complete the rest of it later.

I think ive got a pretty good match with the colours, any comments good or bad are welcome.

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Have you thought of contacting the newspaper that may have run the article? If you don't know the paper it's likely to be a local one in the area where your Grandad lived such as the Liverpool Echo etc. They might have something in thier archives that they may be able to link up to your Grandad.
Hmm yeah that may well be worth a go, i know there is defo a copy of it in tennerife but it if i ever get hold of it, hopefully my auntie can help me out.

Cheers Paul

F

Ferrets Bueller

Ok its done, lol the quickest model ive done so far and i have to say i did enjoy it, although my eyes are killing me now.

I took a few pics of the sub and a couple of it next to the bismarck and where they both will sit on display.

I got a few different light angles

JUst an air rifle on the wall (legally owned) and no thats no me in the pic lol.

S

Sky Raider

Looks fantastic, very nice job you did there. Now, that rifle looks cool to, another thing on my list this year a nice new pcp and scope.

Andy

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely cracking pair of models and perfectly matched with thier historical connections. All credit to you for a superb masking job on the sub as well, more than my eyes could cope with!

F

Ferrets Bueller

\ said:
Absolutely cracking pair of models and perfectly matched with thier historical connections. All credit to you for a superb masking job on the sub as well, more than my eyes could cope with!
Cheers Richard that masking was a bit fiddly and my eyes were killing me once i had finished but yeah im very happy with the outcome. So much so that my girlfriend is off shopping in chester tomorrow and has orders to go to the local modelzone to see what other subs they have, i know revell do a 1:144 scale type 7 so may give that a whirl, will have to see what she comes back with.

Oh and im defo gonna do the bow waves on the bismarck.:lala: