Revell 1/48 F-14 Tomcat * Help needed! *

D

dubster72

Well here's my first proper venture into the seedy world of making things with wings!

This is the 'Black Tomcat' from Revell (although it won't be black!)

The kit itself is simply awful IMHO. Nothing fits properly, there's flash everywhere & ejection marks all over the place - 6 on the arrester hook alone!

Suffice to say that much filler & sanding have been needed. It's still nowhere near ok, but I'm getting sick of it now!

It's not really a build thread as it's pretty much done, but here's where I'm at - primer on

& an attempt at pre-shading.

View attachment 82769

View attachment 82770

A couple of rather poor pics of the cockpit

View attachment 82771

View attachment 82772

More to come tomorrow ....

Cheers

Patrick

IMG_0102~2.jpg

IMG_0106~2.jpg

IMG_20140323_110449.jpg

IMG_20140323_110349.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sounds like you have had your work cut out for you Patrick. Looks good though, at least you are on the final stretch with the paint about to go on. Look forward to seeing more soon.

D

dubster72

Thanks Joe! It's all good practice for my Eduard Bf 109 - that's the one I want to get right!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
For a bad kit it's turned out looking good thanks to all your hard work and skills and I truly appreciate what you have done as my last few kits have been produced by some obscure brands but when finished will give you lots of satisfaction and as you say great practice for your 109 cheers John

P

Polux

Looking very good Patrick!!

Nice memories! When I was 16, this plane was my favorite ;)

N

noble

\ said:
Well here's my first proper venture into the seedy world of making things with wings!This is the 'Black Tomcat' from Revell (although it won't be black!)

The kit itself is simply awful IMHO. Nothing fits properly, there's flash everywhere & ejection marks all over the place - 6 on the arrester hook alone!

Suffice to say that much filler & sanding have been needed. It's still nowhere near ok, but I'm getting sick of it now!

It's not really a build thread as it's pretty much done, but here's where I'm at - primer on

& an attempt at pre-shading.

View attachment 82941

View attachment 82942

A couple of rather poor pics of the cockpit

View attachment 82943

View attachment 82944

More to come tomorrow ....

Cheers

Patrick

N

noble

I have faith in you that you can bring this kitty to heel, lovely start so far though.

scott

0ne48thtel

Patrick thanks for the heads up on the problems. I have one of these kits in my stash I keep looking at. The preshading looks good as does the office.

First Name
Mike
Looking good, I especially like what you've done in the cockpit. Those screens look great.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Patrick

I like the pre shading - very finely done, and the cockpit detail looks great too. Although you've had your troubles with the kit it doesn't really show in the shots. After this kit the Eduard 109 will be a doodle as it has no flash and fits superbly.

Looking forward to the finish of this Tomcat.

All the best

Paul

As much as I do like the look of this machine, it will always be my nightmare. The only one kit I gave up because of no idea how to push it further. It was suprisingly Hasegawa kit, 1/72. Kit was terrible, lot of gaps and poor details.

But I must say that was one of the first models I started after my comeback to modelling after 10 years.

Your Tomcat looks good so far. I'd like to see better pictures of the office Patrick.

Bart

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The pre shading has worked just perfectly patrick. Dont think it looks too heavy, the grey lo viz tomcats got really grubby and weathered so this will be spot on after a few filters/washes , and thats something that armour guys like yourself excel at. top job , cheers tony

D

dubster72

Thanks Tony, I might try a little bit of lighter grey in the center of the panels. Just to see how it looks!

Notice I'm not showing much of the nose ;) broke off the pointy bit & the filler hasn't sanded down very well!

C

Caledonia

Hi Patrick, the Tomcat is a difficult model, no matter the maker. I have made the 1/72 Hasegawa and the 1/32 Trumpeter, and both had a lot of problems. Your's is coming along nicely despite the problems you have had. Keep up the good work. Cheers Derek.

D

dubster72

Thanks Derek & Joe - it's quite interesting building an aircraft & a tank at the same time. Similar, yet different skills are needed ;)

T

treyzx10r

Patrick the preshade did come out great! Accenting the panels further with different greys will also make a huge difference. I've got some static shots of the full scale at a museum and it was beat up and weathered rather harshly so it wo'nt be a stretch to take it further. I've got 2 of these kits in the stash so its a bonus to see how nicely yours is coming along,gives me hope! Looking forward to seeing more,keep up the great work!

First Name
Dave
The pre shading looks really good.Something I haven't got the hang of yet.