Revell 1/48 F-14 Tomcat * Help needed! *

D

dubster72

Thanks Trey & Dave! I have read somewhere that each time a maintenance panel was removed it received a lick of paint, leading to a 'patchwork quilt' effect.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
broke off the pointy bit & the filler hasn't sanded down very well!
Nothing worse than breaking off your pointy bit!

This is looking really nice Patrick. Top marks for sticking with it....I must confess to having no interest in modern fighter jets, but I am enjoying watching you bring this model to life...as you surely will.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Ha-ha I kinda knew it would break off - somehow it was asking for it!

Thanks Ron, I'd like to build more aircraft - it's the tales of poor fitting & lashings of filler that put me off!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Ha-ha I kinda knew it would break off - somehow it was asking for it!Thanks Ron, I'd like to build more aircraft - it's the tales of poor fitting & lashings of filler that put me off!
You should build more aircraft Patrick, you're doing a marvellous job on the F-14. Not all aircraft kits need lots of filler or fit poorly. Some go together quite nicely with very minimal filling/sanding.

D

dubster72

Thanks Joe! It's funny you should say that just as I have parts of a Bf109 sitting on my desk ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work so far Patrick just as the others have said the pre shading as worked well and with the post shading your planning should really make it stand out keep up the good work

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Patrick

The pre-shade looks great to me. Pre-shading is not to every aircraft modeller's taste but for me it adds a little more interest to, what could be, a very flat finish. I think you've mastered this technique very well and will help this F14 become the great model I'm sure it will be.

Cheers

P

0ne48thtel

I think it depends on how old/used and abused you want it to look Patrick. Some of the pictures I have seen of these birds the panel lines do really show. I reckon once you start the decaling it will look really good. Personally I would think about putting a light mist of grey over the decals to age them as well.

D

dubster72

So do a gloss coat & apply the decals - then a grey mist coat to tie it all together?

That's a good shout Tel! Thanks

Last edited:

0ne48thtel

Yep that's the one. Just watch you don't over do it as I have in he past.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I totally agree with terry , they got really mucky sometimes so the shading looks fine. once its had a wash as well it will be fine cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'd be tempted to mist the grey on now before the decals. Personally, I think the stage you're at now is the time in which you have most control. That's only my opinion though. It shouldn't need much either, just a quick mist should bring it back together as a whole. This is the nature of pre shading - getting that balance, you're simply in the midst of that process.

Cheers

Paul

D

Deleted member 3568

I confess to knowing nothing about planes but it looks good to me, at least I would be pleased if it were mine keep up the good work.