Revell 1/48 Spad XIII

B

Bari

As I having been having difficulties seeing the small stuff in 1/72 lately so I thought I would go up a scale with this. I believe it is a Revell reboxing of the Eduard kit. The parts in this are tiny and there are so many of them! Anyway this is what I have done so far.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.jpg

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Last edited:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That is quite a busy cockpit, very nice!:cool:

J

just dave

I'm not a fan of WW1 era aircraft but that looks great so far!

First Name
Robert
This looks like a nice kit ( I'll say I'm not really into WW1 aircraft as that rigging scares the ..... (Bleep) out of me but in saying that I'll tag along and see how you get on

Kind regards

Robert

B

Bari

Done a little bit more, The fit of major parts is not great. It took me ages to get the cockpit module sorted. It sits on the wing then the wing and cockpit floor are inserted in from the bottom. First the floor wouldn't fit on the wing, (I should have checked it before building the floor module) Then the whole assembly wouldn't fit into the fuselage and I had to thin the floor sides down quite a bit to get it in. Dry fitting the cockpit shelf proved another frustration as I then had to trim the moulded struts on the sides of the cockpit to allow the shelf to lie flush so the top would go on. This naturally disturbed the stretched sprue which is now waving in the breeze. However dry fitting the top shows that hardly anything inside can be seen.

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

B

Bari

Plodding on, got the top deck on which proved to be too wide so had to have a major sanding session also the radiator when fitted into its mounting holes is off to one side so more fettling to do there. I have marked out all the ribs with marker pen hoping that they will show up as faint lines when the paint is on.

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm very impressed with this build Barry. If you find WW1 is your thing, I can recommend Eduard kits. As in the proper ones, but you probably know that already..

B

Bari

Thanks for all the interest. I have now come across yet another badly fitting part which with hindsight I should have fitted early on before joining the fuselage halves. The two inspection panels either side of the nose, they look like warts they stand out so much.

026.JPG

This is the offending part. I thinned them down to try and get them to lay flatter but they would not have it at all, so in the end I decided to make some replacements out of a thickish foil from the top of a coffee can.

027.JPG

029.JPG

In my wisdom I though this would be a simple scribing job on the reverse of the foil to let the detail stand proud on the other side. Naturally I did not take into account advanced age, poor eyesight and big fingers. Several attempts later I had a selection to choose from. I did think of opening up the louvres so they would look better but after destroying several gave it up.

031.JPG

By now I was thinking that this would be a good build to park in the bin but carried on and stuck the best of the selection on which with a bit of primer on didn't look too bad at a quick glance.

032.JPG

033.JPG

035.JPG

First Name
john
Scary as I have this kit in my stash. Looks like you've had a fight on your hands to date but looks like you've got it licked as paintwork looks smooth n crisp. Keep up the good work. Watching with interest.

Cheers John