Revell 1/72 Boston

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Finally finished this.
A few months ago I bought a pile of paints and tools from a member on here who was giving up modelling due to his wife expecting a baby. He included a few kits, one of which was this Boston. He'd started it for a relative (wife's grandfather?) who'd actually flown on the Eindhoven raid in 1942, (see
) but sadly the relative passed away before the model was completed. He did ask me to provide some photos of the finished Boston, so I'll PM him.
Most of the parts fit pretty well, but the nose is a terrible fit, and I didn't spend as long as I should have on the fill/sand/repeat, as I was worried about damaging the clear parts.
Unfortunately the PO had glued the fuselage halves together without enough weight in the nose, so it's a tail-sitter - in the photos it's held down on an offcut of floor tile with double-sided tape!P1130825.JPG P1130826.JPG P1130827.JPG P1130828.JPG P1130829.JPG P1130830.JPG P1130831.JPG P1130832.JPG
The paints are mostly the Tamiya ones from the batch I bought from him, but the engines had a coat of Revell Steel. He'd included a bottle of the Lakeland version of Klear, which I tried, but it came out a bit orange-peely, and seemed to soften with the oil washes I used, so it's back to Pledge for me! Also tried Microset/Microsol for the first time, but there's some silvering on the wings. One of the clear fire extinguisher access windows was missing, and I lost the other while removing the masking, so they're both replaced with Humbol Clearfix.
Quite satisfying to build, in spite of a few problems, and gave me an interest in a plane I knew nothing about, so I've bought an Italeri 1/48 version!
All criticisms gratefully accepted (I can always blame the PO!).

Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice Peter. Double sided tape to cure tail sitting - every day is a school day. Well that's my lesson learnt today.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Colin. Hardly a 'cure', but it held long enough to take some photos.

Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job pete , cheers tony

M

munkster

Looks good - glad you made use of the bits and pieces. Eric (a distant uncle I think?) would have been really chuffed to see the model, I will make sure to show the mother in law who was much closer to him, she will be equally touched I'm sure :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Rob, I wasn't sure what relation he was to you.
I used as many of the items I bought from you as I could, which gave me the chance to try various substances without having to buy them separately. Mostly successful, but not the floor polish.

Pete
Nice job pete , cheers tony
Thanks Tony.