Revell 1:72 Sea Hurricane

A

ADK

Hi. New to the forum and been lurking on here for a while looking at the amazing builds going on. Decided to take the plunge and commit to a build. I have modelled before but a very long time ago and just fancied taking it up again, but to be honest, other than the very basic techniques I don't have much of a clue.

So I bought this kit today and a few brushes and humbrol paints with a view to making a load of mistakes. So, I would like to add a little bit more detail in the cockpit. Anybody got any advice? Plan is to make it with the hood open, no pilot to try to show a few lumps and bumps in the cockpit. Any advice gratefully received. Hopefully start building over the Christmas holidays.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I can't recall what the cockpit detail is like in Revell's 1/72 Sea Hurricane, but you could add extra detail using seat belt harnesses, a gun sight (if not already supplied), and if applicable a rear vision mirror for the canopy.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Just my opinion and you don't have to take it :D

I've built the revell sea hurricane in 1/72 and once it's built its so small any adaptation you make will be lost so you won't be able to see it

But it's your build and your choice just be sure to post up your added bits so we can see them :smiling3:

S

steve scan

I think from what I have read it is fine out of the box, also not letting me get my hands on it will make it a better build. :D

A

ADK

So actually opened the box and got around to doing the first couple of jobs. Decided to dry bush the instrument panel to practice this. Pretty happy with the result and will try to add some spot colours.

Next job will be to get a scriber and open up the control surface lines a little and will have a go at some masking tape belts.

A couple of questions. Is it possible to pre shade the panel lines using a brush and using thinned down enamel paints? How should I prime the plastic surface first before painting?

Thanks AlexView attachment 95229

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's a good instrument panel

Are you brush painting or using an air brush? I only ask because if you airbrush you can prime the surface and then pre shade but if you brush paint it's best to wash the kit and let it dry due to the shallow panel lines , brush painting puts a thicker coat on the surface so you can lose some of the depth on these times of kits

If you brush paint it's best to just put a dood coat on and then thin some paint and then pin wash it into the panel line being careful not to get to much over spill then just dry brush over the panels to get the panels lines to show , it does take a bit of time as you will have to do it several times to coner build but it's worth it :smiling3:

A

ADK

Cheers Alan.

I have decided to use brushes for the time being. I hope to progress to airbrushing in the future, but at the moment happy to use brushes and see how I go.

A dood coat? Sorry, I don't know what this is.

I have seen pin washing on youtube And it was done after the camouflage and decals had been put on. Are you describing doing this first, before the camo?

Apologies for all the questions. Just a noob trying to figure out what to do.

Cheers again. Alex

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Sorry a dood coat was ment to be good coat :D

Pin wash after the camo is on , I do it before decals go on but its up to you , if you do go for the after decal option get so micro-sol this will pull the decal down into the panel line so you can see the line

I'm only glad to help :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Any more progress on this one Alex? I'm about to start the same kit over on the 'Under a Tenner' Group Build.