Revell Aqua metallic paint

P

petemid

Hi all,

complete novice here! Can someone please give me some guidance as to how to use metallic paints?

I have a Revell Aqua metallic gold to paint onto a plastic model. It just seems to go all gloopy, and not adhere to the plastic at all.

Help please!

A

andygh

Just a couple of things, have you washed the surface you're painting? And have you thinned the paint with a drop of water?

P

petemid

Yes I have washed the surface. I haven't thinned it though, is that essential?

If thinning, can I thin down the whole pot, or should I just decanter what I will use and then thin that?

P

phalinmegob

i am using aqua colours at the moment and the metallics dont cover for me at all unless the part has been primed or give it a quick coat of a base colour the go metallic over the top of it.as above they must be very well stirred as well, i use cocktail sticks,very cheap

Last edited:
M

m1ks

Are you brush painting or airbrushing?

Metallics just don't brush well, Acrylics are not great generally for brush painting and to get a decent finish you'll need at least two thin coats.

When airbrushing, thinning is absolutely essential, if brushing it can be beneficial, ambient temperature can affect the drying rate so if painting in a warm room your acrylic paint will dry very quickly, thin only slightly if brush painting paint one coat, don't worry that it will look streaky and messy, let it dry, at least a few hours and re-coat, build up the coats gradually.

You also ideally need to wash the part prior to painting and ideally prime it, this could be done with spray can primer or enamels brushed, or airbrushed.

For a good metallic acrylic, try Citadel, the games workshop paints, a bit pricier than other acrylics but very good.

Enamels give a better finish overall, especially for brush painting if you have this option instead.

F

Fenlander

Only metallic Acrylics that work really well with air brush or hairy brush is Games Workshop Citadel paints, never had much confidence in the others much as I like Revell.