Revell CSS Alabama

O

old tom

A cautionary tale for anyone thinking to buy the Revell CSS Alabama that's now on sale (cheap) at Modelzone:

Unless you have a high skill level, DON'T buy it!

It's the 60's version with a new hull moulding but they've forgotten to allow for the retractable screw. This pic shows how you need to hack out a huge amount of plastic to locate the assembly:

They've also got the locating holes in the wrong place and the pin rails are the same for both sides (they should be mirror images). There are other problems, but just to cap it all, the instructions are incredibly vague and inacurate.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the 'challenge'. :smile1:

The hull:

Both pics are clickable images.

Has anyone else tried to build this kit??

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/tomlan2008/CSS%20Alabama/th_Hullbuilt005r.jpg' rel="external nofollow">

T

tag

Thanks for posting

Seems strange they got it wrong as I have been building cheap snap together starwars stuff which are very good with some nice molded detail also they are at the budget end of the market

O

old tom

Exactly the point of my 'cautionary tale' tag. :yes:

Tooling on Revell's models is normally fine so anyone building new stuff might think it's all good. You've just got to be careful when they do a re-issue. I guess re-issues are cheaper than new models and it keeps the catalogue nice and full!

S

Samurai

Hi, I've just bought this model. I do not intend to start it just yet as I have another project to finish first. But I was wondering if you are going to build he boat as it comes or are you going to improve it with after market parts. Specifically the armaments and the shrouds. Also how have you hidden the join on the decks?

O

old tom

Hi Samurai, I've been commissioned to build the Oriana for a 50th birthday present (another re-issue kit - this time Modelcraft and it's just as much, if not more, of a challenge!) so I'm afraid this model has been relegated to the 'will complete at a later date' department. Regards after market parts, I used the kit armament (it's fine if you take some time over it) and that's about as far as I got. The deck joints just needed a tiny bit of filler and I'll probably make my own shrouds (did you mean ratlines?) as per Keith Julier's 'Period Ship Handbook'.

I hope you get as much out of the challenge to build it as I did. :smiling:

R

RyedaleChris

Hi, I'm not generally a ship builder but for various reasons I want to build this kit.

I am however a very experienced modeller so what do you think?

For a start I didn't know it HAD a retractable screw.

Chris

O

old tom

If you enjoy a challenge, then go for it Chris. If you can get it for the price I got it for (£29.00), you won't get as much ship for your money anywhere else. Do some research on the net (it had a fascinating, if short, career) and grab as many photos of it as you can. Spend the time and you'll end up with a fine model.

Please tell us how you get on.

Cheers

Tom

R

RyedaleChris

Ok I probably will. I kept a weather eye out for it at Telford but didn't see one.

I know all about the original, thats why I want to build it, I'm a bit of a Confederacy buff.

Chris.

J

jtdraig

\ said:
A cautionary tale for anyone thinking to buy the Revell CSS Alabama that's now on sale (cheap) at Modelzone:Unless you have a high skill level, DON'T buy it!

It's the 60's version with a new hull moulding but they've forgotten to allow for the retractable screw. This pic shows how you need to hack out a huge amount of plastic to locate the assembly:

[/url]

They've also got the locating holes in the wrong place and the pin rails are the same for both sides (they should be mirror images). There are other problems, but just to cap it all, the instructions are incredibly vague and inacurate.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying the 'challenge'. :smile1:

The hull:

Both pics are clickable images.

Has anyone else tried to build this kit??
I have to agree with you. I have struggled with this model. The last straw is that the ratlines are torn so I am searching for replacements.

G

Graham D

I had this model, but gave it away, as the molding was rubbish and the dead eyes were a dead loss