Revell decal soft and Humbrol decalfix

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I'm just about to start applying the decals to my P-47 and I don't know if I can use the title products together.

I've searched around for microsol and microset, which a lot of the guys on here seem to use, and can't find a supplier, other than on line.

While I was in my LMS I found some Humbrol decal fix which I used on the wing decals and was not hugely impressed as the decal is nicely set but hasn't "sat down" into the assorted bumps and panel lines. Last week I found some Revell decal soft, which on reading the instructions seems to be a combo of "sol" and "set".

Has any one used these products in combination and can anyone advise me about the use of this stuff.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can't say as I don't use them but I can understand your concerns, I am very cautious of mixing brands. My normal advise is try it with some surplus decals, the same make as those in the kit, before committing to the actual build.

Have you tried a second application, that often helps.

To the subject of buying it on line, Decal solution for scale model decals if you order it early enough I will bet that you will get it in the post the next day. Shamless plug I know, but he deserves all the trade we can give him! Call it karma.

I have read some good and some bad about the Humrol one. I think its all down to the user and the decals being used.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If you've used one and now want to try the other I can't see that being a problem.

There's no advantage in mixing the two.

Cheers

Steve

D

Doggy

Can I ask why you no longer or don't put them in water?

Have the decals changed or is it to avoid water staining or something?

thanks.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You still put the decals on with the normal tepid water bath, you use the decal set as an extra adhesive to pull the decal down onto the surface. Decal softeners are used on an applied decal to reeeeaaaalllly pull it down to all the dents and bumps on the surface.

Ian M

D

Doggy

Ok I get it now, I remember some decals cracking or folding as I tried to move them about.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I chickened out on using both the decal soft and decal fix together and just used the decal soft. I put the fuselage star on, which comes in three parts, and gave it a liberal coat of the softener, and then mopped the excess with a bit of tissue, like it says in the instructions. Little bits of the decal came away with the tissue, luckily only on the white area, I've got some white paint that'll cover it, but the decal hasn't settled like I expected, its still riding over the top of a pannel line. Thinking perhaps I should put more on, I did, twice, and its still the same, even after leaving it over night.

Is it the decal soft or the decals do you think, they are a bit stiff and when I tried to put the D-day stripes on the underside of the fuselage, they only fitted where they touched, and when I tried to get them to conform to the curves they broke up. The D-day stripes are now painted on and I didn't even try with the cowl decal and just masked and painted it on. Also to add insult to injury the decals are translucent, particularly the white areas, and the black and white stripes beneath show through.

Or is it just me not using the stuff properly?

I've spent a lot of time and not a little effort and money on this build, and I wanted it to be the best I've done to date, but these decals are really bugging me.

Sorry if I sound like I'm whinging.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Tony, I just use the Revell decalsoft and it works fine for me. I've never tried the micro-sol micro-set as you say can't find it in any of my LMS.

Vaughan