Revell Liquid Glue for Plastics

K

Krieg-Hammer

Ok, has this happened to anyone else... I painted my tank in Acrylic paint. Before I put Gloss Varnish on to seal the paint, I still needed to glue on the spare track links, recovery chain and so on, onto the side of the hull. However, when I used this glue, straight away it ate at the paint and caused it too dissolve!

Is this type of glue only meant to be used for plastic - plastic adhesion? Ie free of paint? Any ideas?

After the initial piece I fitted I stopped. It would ruin the model if I continued to glue the other pieces on with this stuff.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Every poly cement,like the Revell liquid glue, will have this effect. The solvents in the glue, which dissolve the plastic, will attack any model paint. This type of glue is only meant for plastic,infact any paint on the surfaces to be joined will interfere with the way the glue works as well as making a mess.

Cheers

Steve

K

Krieg-Hammer

Doh!! Mental note taken! Ok, so in the future, I am best to stick everything on before I do any sort of painting?

T

travellingman49

Try scraping away the paint on the area to be glued with a scalpel blade and then glue the bits on and touch up the paint after the glue has set.

K

Krieg-Hammer

I've been sort of doing that. Made a slight difference. So glad I have this forum to fall back on when I am stuck. But I guess you have to make mistakes to learn.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
But I guess you have to make mistakes to learn.
Oh yes! I've been at this game for "a while" and I still make them (and hopefully learn) with alarming frequency.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You might want to consider a pva type glue, like Gator grip glue. It is as good as "super-glue", you get a good 30seconds to play with positioning, it will not attack the paint and while wet can be cleaned up with water! The only minus I can think of is that it does dry rather shiny so you will still need to touch up any that you dont get cleaned off. It is also great for clear parts as it does not dissolve the plastic, being a mechanical rather than chemical glue.

Ian M

K

Krieg-Hammer

Thanks, I have a 1:35 scale model, but got using a 1:72 scale to get familiar with the techniques. Easy to fix a mistake on a small model compared to a much larger one.