Revell Matt Paint - Brush strokes

A

aido-76

HI All, Im new here and hope I am posting this in the correct area

I need advice on how to eliminate brush strokes when using Revell Matt Paints.

I have mixed the paints correctly and I am using good quality Humbrol and Revell brushes, applying a gentle coat of paint at a time and using slow gently broad brush strokes, but no matter what I do keep ending up with brush strokes.

Currently I am building this Revell Germany - 1/25 Kenworth Australia and it needs the exterior colour mixed, which I have done and stupid me never mixed enough to complete the entire model, Knowing I will never be able to match the paint I mixed again.

I got this Revell matt paint REVELL OCHRE BROWN MATT | REVELL 14ML ENAMEL PAINT | PAINTS / ADHESIVES | Catalogue | MarksModels which is a fairly good match and intended to to re-coat the matt paint with gloss varnish, to get the desired gloss finish.

Will mixing the matt paint with gloss varnish work, and will it eliminate the brush strokes, and if it will work can anybody advise what the mixing ratio would be.

I hope I have explained my situation correctly, and woul much appreciate ant help or advice that you guys may have.

Thanks

Aido-76

C

CDW

First of all welcome Aiden.

I only use the hairy stick and have found that even the better quality revel and humbrol brushes tend to leave a drag mark or two even if you're careful.

My way of getting a smooth finish is to thin the paint further than you would think adequate and paint with a natural (sable) brush, lots of thin coats with a fair time to dry (not fully cure) in between.

I must add that i only paint in acrylics and use a varied job lot including citadel, Decent quality artists water colours & artists acrylics and the odd revell pot like their flat black.

from experience ... varnishing will not eliminate the drag marks although it may blend them back a little.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Aiden, welcome from me too, to this most friendly of forums.....You've made a good choice!

Like Colin, I too only brush paint and the only add-ons to his excellent advise are to use a good quality flat/ chisel headed brush when painting large areas. His tip re. extra thinning is spot on and most important....and when applying it, don't fiddle, but sling the stuff on. Then lay it down with brush strokes in one direction, working to the outside of the piece. It's when you start to mess with the paint it leaves brush marks. Cover the model quickly, if the paint is thin enough, it self levels to some extent. Although you can't see it happening!

As to ratios, I have'nt a clue, I just try the mix out on some spare plastic.

I can't comment about your choice of paint, 'cos I only use Vallejo Model Colour Acrylics.

Ron