Revell /Monogram Cylon Raider

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
This is my current project, the old Monogram Cylon Raider. Considering the molds are 40 years old it is not too bad, but it does suffer in some areas, especially fit.
Aside from that there are a couple of other areas to be addressed; the open holes for the rubber band powered rockets in the original kit, and the see through exhaust.

27769083038_099c8b5656_b.jpg

Bulkheads are being made to block off the exhausts.

41640378651_6d6168f2e9_b.jpg

I am a bit further along, but these are the only pictures I have with me at the moment.
more to come......

O

Oddangryshot

Ernie, hope you don't mind me commenting on the start of your project sir, being that my passion is for armor, figures, and aircraft, my hidden passion is si-fi and as your doing something from one of my favorite show (battlestar galactica) when i was a kid I just had to take a look .

Have always loved the look of the curves and lines on those colonial vipers since i first saw that show, i've always wanted to build one but never got round to it, love these Cylon Raiders as well, plus it's a 40 year old kit. Good luck with the build i'll be watching from the sideline if you don't mind.

looking forward to seeing more sir.

ian

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Thank you Gents for the kind replies, glad to have you following along!

So, once the bulkheads were made, I wanted to spruce them up a little bit so I added some old etched mesh to them....

41810055382_0e93480122_b.jpg

The kit supplies "box fan" like exhaust units, which fortunately have a hole in the center, so I measured and marked the centers of the bulkheads and drilled a hole through so I could mount a piece of plastic rod as a mounting pin.

41135605354_29bb2e80ff_b.jpg

So this is how they should work out in the end....

41135603914_c610b433b8_b.jpg

I also made bulkheads to block off the openings where the louvered covers that go over the exhaust tunnels meet the upper hull. I just used sheet plastic and after it was fitted sprayed flat black. Not much can be seen in here, mainly I just wanted to block off the view into the open interior of the model.

41810055932_59b25c5b5d_b.jpg

While I was at it, this panel hangs down in front of the nose of the craft, it looks kind of like just a plate hanging there, so I boxed in the edges with sheet plastic to make it look more "structural" and like it belonged there,
41135604504_817511e908_b.jpg

That is where we are at, the fit is not the best so at this point the hull halves are together and I am slowly but steadily cleaning up the seams.

First Name
Ross
Ernie, some small but significant additions, will go a long way to improve the finished model.
cheers
Ross

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ernie, although I won't admit it but I am a sci fi fan for only certain subject. The Cylon craft is one of them. Different from present day armour and aircraft but it has that opportunity to weather.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I always liked these Raiders better than the ones from the new (well, formerly new) BSG. Does the kit come with three chrome-plated Centurions to put in the cockpit?

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
I always liked these Raiders better than the ones from the new (well, formerly new) BSG. Does the kit come with three chrome-plated Centurions to put in the cockpit?

Nope, no Centurions. in fact the cockpit louvered section in this one is a solid piece. The last reissue of the kit added some clear parts, but this is the issue before that I think, before the upgraded pieces were added.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ernie
Nice start. Neat scratching on the bulkheads. Always a lot of satisfaction to be had by turning an old kit with problems into a nice model.
Jim

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Hi Ernie
Nice start. Neat scratching on the bulkheads. Always a lot of satisfaction to be had by turning an old kit with problems into a nice model.
Jim

Thank you. Yes, it is always nice to take an older kit like this and bring it up to snuff.